Purchase the truck on my name or the company's name?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by 24kHotshot, May 6, 2019.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I'm ready to buy a truck and my company is in the process of opening.
    Buying a 2019 Ram 3500 chassis cab and wondering what would be the best way to do it.
    Truck is being financed and will take a 60 month loan but want to pay it off in 18 months and only collect a very small salary from my corp. until the truck and trailer are all paid off. I don't have any rent or other obligations to pay while I do this. Anything I take, even $250 a week is clean money to a savings account.

I want the rest of the money to be kept in the business account to buy a new or additional trucks and trailers after I pay it off.
    Am I going to face tax problems trying to do this?
    Is a corp S the correct type of corp to do this?
    If I throw money at the loan is it all deductible?
    Should I just pay the monthly payment and then pay the whole thing off with a lump sum when I am ready?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    I bought a semi last year and lease it to a company, my accountant told me to put truck in my llc's name for liability reasons, and he files me under s corp when april 15th comes, i couldn't write off my loan payments but what u can write off is the depreciation value of vehicle, i think u can write it all off in 1st year if u wanted or split it up into 3 or 4 years which is route im going

Omega1 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What does your accountant suggest to do?

5. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Turns out my accountant is a pos. He was supposed to have it all done by yesterday and I just found out nothing has been done yet.
    Just called his office an hour ago and had my money refunded and am going to meet with a different accountant today.
    I was talking to a truck dealer yesterday and wanted to lock in the deal but needed this question answered but couldn't reach my accountant. I put the deal on hold for now.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You would have find out what depreciation schedule is if their is one. You can only write off the price you pay for the truck. Plus the loan interest. But the loan payments have nothing to do with it.

I don't believe a s cop will protect you in any legal way from accident or much. If in accident or anything goes wrong they will sue two people the S Corp and the driver. That would be you in both situations. When a big mega trucking company get sued they can go after the driver and the S Corp. They can't go after the owner of the trucking company because he was not driving. So they sue his trucking company since that were the money is. So you would need lots of insurance

7. highwayMike

highwayMike Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I doesn’t matter who owns the truck, you just have to prove what % you use for business. Then you figure what write-off route you want to go after that.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    If a 'company' is leasing a truck on with our company, the lease and registration have to be in the company name.

biturbo54 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    But not the title. The registration is the plate, the lease is a contract. The plate can come from anywhere. If the owner is leasing with a carrier, the lease is not in the carriers name, it is in the owner's name.

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    When the owner and driver are the same and he has a tax number and an LLC; the lease is in the name of the LLC [yeah I know about that LLC thing, NJ seeking misclassified employees is using the Cali ABC test instead of the IRS 20 questions so we may be having them all convert to 'S' corporations which will, ironically, still end in LLC]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.