Purchasing a trailer under business.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by RollinThunderVet, Jan 20, 2019.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Looking to purchase new(to me)trailer to move over the step decks.
    My question is when putting it under the business name and FEIN does it show on your personal credit?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You mean, does a loan under your business name reflect upon your personal credit?

4. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
  5. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    It depends on the age and credit worthyness of your business. If you're business is too young or it's credit history sucks, than they may require you to personally guarantee any financing. If that's the case than yes it will end up on your personal credit report.

But if they deem your business to be credit worthy without a personal guarantee than it'll stay off your personal report.

Also I believe the structure of the business is also a factor. If you have an LLC or Corp of some kind with good credit they won't ask for a personal guarantee. But if you have a sole proprietor or something similar than I don't think there is such thing as separation of business finances from personal. But I am not a CPA, just a business owner.

highwayMike Thanks this.
  6. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks... I have an LLC, but no established credit, less than a year old.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I sign all my loans with a personal guarantee, but my credit report shows only two credit cards. Even my Costco card is reported under my business debt.

In other words, a personal guarantee doesn't necessarily show up on your credit report. Mine is 806, because of 2 cards with a long history and no credit utilization. Business is a different story.

It's really an ideal situation, because they look at your personal credit score for loan evaluation, but then the loan doesn't go on your personal credit, in case you need to apply for a mortgage or some such.

jbgrim72 and RollinThunderVet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.