Purchasing a truck and hiring a driver??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wdoe, Dec 8, 2019.

1. wdoe

wdoe Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Before everyone jumps down my throat let me give a back story.

I am the services manager for a industrial equipment rental company. We ship our equipment all over the United States. I schedule all of our transportation by shopping our loads with few different brokers. Most of our equipment is mounted on 48' flat-beds or step decks and almost all of this equipment is over width and some overweight.(I understand costs of permits and add. load insurance) We average around $400,000 annually in transportation costs. I would say we average moving around 10 loads per month.

I see the invoices we pay after the brokers shop our loads, and always start figuring. Going on info from different sites i see that the avg. cost per mile is around $1.40. When I figure this number plus the costs of permits using an app and compare this cost to the invoices we pay i almost always see around a 25-30% difference in actual cost I figure with the $1.40cpm plus permits.

I know there are other costs such as truck payment, high insurance, additional insurance, taxes, registration. I have done some research on these costs and just think that there has to be something I am missing here. It would be crazy to think that i am paying a broker 30%. I feel that with the 30% i could pay a driver top dollar and still cover costs after initial start-up.I understand if i were to hire a driver he would want to move more than 10 loads per month.(Lets just assume I could find the driver additional loads to move as he wanted)

I guess my question for you experts is am i crazy for looking at this as a possibility to make a little extra money with this. Welcome any thoughts or comments.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Did I read that right? You're paying $1.40/mi for overwidth and overweight flatbed freight?

That just doesn't sound right.

To buy a truck, trailer, get the operating authority, insurance, driver, fuel & maintenance will come out to just about $1.40/mi

Edit: Where are you located?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It would be hard to make any money just pulling a legal size/weight load for $1.40 a mile. I can't see anyone running a permitted load for that. @Rontonio @blairandgretchen How about this.

5. wdoe

wdoe Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Let me give an example.

We just moved a load from our shop to Pontiac,MI. 822 miles from our shop.
    Here are my equipment specs,
    Power Only
    48’6” x 11’2” x 12’
    45,000LBS
    After multiple brokers shopped this load the lowest quote was $3,400(including permits). So we payed $4.14 per mile.

I am comparing the cost of owning maintaining my own truck and paying a driver to move this load with the $1.40 per mile cost. Is this incorrect?

6. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    it would be better If I didn’t address this as I am likely to say things that will upset people.

but I will say that my fuel cost per mile is over $1.00

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A few thoughts

Power only?

Explain

How much are you going to pay the driver?

$1.40 per mile?

How about the loading and unloading?

$30 an hour?

I have a customer who we (drivers and I) service a customer with large equipment moves. They were billed at $6.50 a mile all inclusive, it was tying up a truck and trailer hours for loading and unloading beyond the move.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I run flatbed freight in those dimesions & weight, which is 3-4k less than I can legally scale. Cost to operate a truck/trailer successfully is going to cost you more than $1.40/mi

Because its your own freight, you have to come up with a pay rate for your driver. If its all os/ow, you're looking at a minimum of 65cpm and be able to have the driver run a minimum of 2200mi/wk. This will get you a good driver. Your insurance alone is going to be atleast $15k for your 1st year. A good truck/trailer is gonna be 50k atleast. We wont even talk about maintenance expenses.

Can you possibly save some $ operating your own equipment and hauling your own freight? Yes. Is there a whole lot of headaches in doing it? Yep.

Again where are you located?

Bean Jr. and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Don’t forget that turns out to be 1644 miles total for that run because you have to get back to the barn? So you just cut it in 1/2. $1.40 a mile is pretty cheap operating cost. Doable at 3000k miles a week but you start to only run 1500 miles a week and mileage operating costs just went up again.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Yep, they either dh the truck or try to find a load going back.

At 10 loads a month, you're either gonna have a driver sitting, or you'll have a truck on the road and a load that needs to go out and no truck to put it on. That causes operating costs to go up.

11. wdoe

wdoe Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Let me show how I am looking at this cost and breaking it down.
    Load going to Pontiac, MI is 822mi from our shop
    Total mileage there and back is 1,644 miles
    We required a power only. our equipment is mounted on 48' flatbed

Fuel Cost,
    1,644mi / 5GPM = 328.8 total gallons needed to make the trip
    328.8 gallons x $3(price per gallon) = $986.4 for fuel

Permits
    This load would need permits to travel thru 7 different states.
    $464.00

Driver Pay
    1644mi / 60minutes = 27.4 hours of drive time. (lets round it up to 30)
    30hrs x $30.00 per hour = $900.00 Drivers Pay

Truck Maintenance
    Ill just guess and will figure around .30 cents a mile
    .30 x 1644mi = $493.2

I come up with actual cost of $2,843.6 this load going to Pontiac
    I paid a broker $3,400 to haul this load. (Probably should not have used this load as an example it is pretty competitive)

I see the $556.4 price difference from what i am figuring as actual cost.

Am i figuring this pricing correctly?

TallJoe and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.