Purchasing a truck and hiring a driver??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wdoe, Dec 8, 2019.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    just do it, just make sure you update this thread in 6 months. It’s so easy running a trucking company, even Celedon can do it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ironmyke

Ironmyke Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Kansas
    You forgot truck and trailer insurance. Add in an employee health insurance benefits now you’re not saving but spending more. Also, if you don’t own the company then there maybe a clause of conflict of interest.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Too bad the OP probably won't come back.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah that may be true, not reading what he wanted but the good thing is we get this information out to prevent others from thinking it is easy to do to save a buck.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Hmm one thing I think might not be taken into account is maybe the cost of an extra staff member to handle the issues that come up during night time when no ones in the warehouse to deal with.

A good brokerage firm always has someone on the other end to answer a call if things go south.

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Theoretically sure you can do it for less and save some money but it depends on how much power you need. If your truck takes off on a long one, it is no longer available for like a week. Realistically you’d need several power units just to cover your own freight. Just with one you’d still be stuck dealing with brokers trying to do 10 loads per month. No way 1 truck will cover all that plus a backhaul unless you had a very precise “out and back” routine set up. Running your own equipment is also high liability also so I can see it not making much sense for most small business to also try to be a “trucking company” at the same time. They’d be up to their ##s in alligators in no time.

8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    A Ryder or Penske lease on a new power unit would be about the only option I would realistically recommend for someone like this who doesn’t really know what they are doing about how to run a trucking company. They have nationwide service centers and 24hr breakdown and handle the IFTA and “truck paperwork”, but my old boss was paying something like $2500/mo per power unit through Penske.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The way I read it is the load is equipment mounted on a flat deck so there is NO backhaul. It's a dedicated round trip. But I probably missed something.
    Need way more info to make a reasonable response IMO

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    If it’s a dedicated round trip that would simplify things. I still would question whether 1 truck could cover all of his freight if he does 10 deliveries per month. Maybe.

If I were him I’d call Penske and price a full service lease on a new whatever. Outfit like that couldn’t afford downtime fixing an old clunker. Then you could pencil in what fuel and a driver would cost you to give a rough idea. Alternatively you could send one your own proven employees to driving school if they were interested. That is not uncommon for LTL companies to do that if a guy proves himself on the dock and wants to drive.

11. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    A dedicated trailer so ''maybe take trailer to site and drop it until contract is done then go back for it. I suppose if you timed it right you could drop 1 then go reposition another.. IDK sounds like a nightmare unless you have access to trailers and freight everywhere.
    Not enough info.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.