Purchasing used kW t660 isx 450

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mississippitrucker2, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Mississippitrucker2

Mississippitrucker2 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Question: I'm looking to purchase used kW with isx 450, it has 937,462 miles. And priced at $21,000. The guy said he has no paperwork on any major engine work, however engine run good with good oil pressure, no engine lights, he also took the oil cap off and it has no blow by for which I could see, oil stick looks to have no particles, I'm would like to know if a truck of such would be good for local/slightly regional? Any answers would be greatly appreciated, BTW I've be in the industry for almost 20yrs, but now thinking of owner op. Thanks again for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    So it’s had major engine work, but he can’t prove it?
    Or there is no paperwork because it’s never had any work done?
    If it’s the first case, he may be hiding something. If it’s the second, then it’s probably been a reliable truck, they tend to stay that way if taken care of.

4. Mississippitrucker2

Aug 23, 2019

5. Mississippitrucker2

Aug 23, 2019
    No the guy said he's not aware of any major work, he did however say that few parts were replaced but not sure of what parts. As I've stated I'm just looking to run it lightly not heavy, with those miles was hoping to get 3-4 yes out of it before any major issues... However thanks for your reply.

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    A ISX15 with 900k on it with no documented major engine work or inframe is a ticking time bomb.

Take your $23k and run, because there's a great chance that $23k will cost you another $35k if that motor goes.

The seller doesn't have any documentation regarding maintenance on this truck which means he's probably didn't own the truck for any length of time and he just wants to flip it and make you the next sucker.

If you want to make money and keep it in your wallet, look for a older Pre-Emission truck (2003 model year engine or older) with a documented maintenance history or a used glider truck.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Yep that's almost 1 million miles on that thing, I wouldn't buy it like mentioned it's just a matter of time before something major goes on it.

Mississippitrucker2 Thanks this.
  8. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I wouldn't get it. Anything could go out. If that truck hasn't already had major engine work done its one in a million. The chances of it going another 3 years would be somewhat more slim.

9. DmitriyKW

DmitriyKW Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Sacto, CA
    What year is that KW? If it’s older than 2010 I would buy it. Those engine with proper maintenance will last up to 1.5mil miles. Always check blowby when engine is warm, same as oil pressure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.