Pure coolant ok?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Fld303, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Fld303

Fld303 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    hello all,

Today I lost about 5 gallons of coolant while changing the filter and I replaced that with green pure coolant ant did not dilute it, should I be ok or does this warrant a complete flush ? The exsistkng coolant was also green. It’s a 94 Detroit 12.7

Thanks for helping out a newbie

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    why did you not add distilled water?
    are you sure you used the the 'concentrate', and not the 'do not add water' formula?

4. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Why don’t you read what it says on the bottle. You’ll find your answer there.

86scotty Thanks this.
  5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    You can run pure coolant in the system, but it will not transfer heat as efficiently. It will freeze at a lower temperature than water, but higher than a mixture of coolant and water. I would just drain 2 gallons and replace it with 2 gallons of distilled water next time you get a chance.

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    its ok. that year model and it a 12.7. i use to run pure green all the time. if you every add water then diff add distilled

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Your fine, I've done it when I was in a rush to get my truck on the road.

And if you lost five gallons, there should be enough water in the system to allow it to work right.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    maybe ok in an emergency situation, but i'd drain out some (save it) and add water for a near proper 50-50 mix.

9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Buy a tester at Walmart see where it tests at.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you've got money to burn on silly stuff like that, I'm sure there are better things to do with it. Water is cheap at less than a dollar per gallon. Why would you dump straight antifreeze in at $12/gallon? Mixing it dang near cuts the cost of your antifreeze in half. Unless you're running in an area where the climate demands a stronger mix, there is no good reason to exceed a 50/50 mix. If time is short and you're in a hurry, go strong on the water.

And no, you don't need a flush. Just figure out what the total capacity of your system is, drain out a gallon. Test it, and add water until the mix is correct. How much water did it take? Use that ratio to figure how much more you'll have to drain in order to top off with water and have the correct mix.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Don't forget to test your ph balance. Get some test strips and a couple pints of SCA additive.
    Directions on the bottle. How much to add according to the PH test strip.
    IF your coolant filter is precharged with the SCA you don't have to add any, in theory.
    I use the precharged filters and also use the strips. Just to make sure.
    Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.