Purge valve on drier sounds like a machine gun

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Yeti 1, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Yeti 1

Yeti 1 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Plz help I have a 2015 international prostar with a Cummins isx15. 3 days ago I replaced the air drier and govenor with a rebuilt from napa bc it was building up too much air pressure. Problem fixed, but now when it purges air at 140psi it gives one good spurt of air and then sounds like a machine gun which increases when reving the engine. No loss in air pressure which is good but I need to step on the brakes to drop psi to get it to stop, usally around 115psi Then ofcourse it builds up psi again and starts the machine gun effect all over.
    My air tanks had oil inside from previous owner not draining. It wasn't condensation it was dirty oil that I drained out at the release valve. The new drier has fresh oil on it now from purging I assume but not much.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    The air drier sounding like a machine gun is because the compressors unloader vlave isn’t fully actuating.
    That is caused from a few things: 1 unloader valve in compressor head is fumed up. Or broken seal
    2 a leak between your governor and compressor unloader valve.
    3 some unidentifiable air system gremlin that’s dedicated to make your hell for a variable amount of time.

Hope you find problem one or two!!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    140 is still to high. Its probley your safety valve blowing off not the air dryer?

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'd bet it's the safety pop off valve not the air drier, it should stop building air about 120psi, may need to adjust the governor which I'm not sure how to explain how to do.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Governor has cap on end unscrew and adjust to 125 Replace cap

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.