Putting a little money into my truck. What should I prioritize?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by gekko1323, Sep 9, 2022.

1. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Just keep running it, save your money for when something happens that actually has to be fixed.

I mean sure do bits and pieces here and there but if it isn't broke don't going fixing it just because. ..

Alot of the bits you are fixing isn't adding value to the truck, so whilst they probably need to be done at some stage I wouldnt rush and drop a whole heap of money in one go. Trucks die in many different ways, putting money into a truck just because is a bad idea....

Also if the truck is going well, don't sell it just because, good trucks are hard to find, so until it becomes a bad truck just keep running it..

ODR, gekko1323 and HaulinConestoga Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HaulinConestoga

HaulinConestoga Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2022
    I would start with the easy stuff depending on a thorough inspection and condition and age

Belts and hoses including heater hoses, power steering hoses possibly fuel lines , water pump if it appears old.
    On the other hand it is Tough to say to replace a perfectly functional part when the quality of the parts and the individual replacing them is so questionable these days .

If your ready for rear brakes , all the hardware along with drums and wheel seals .

Inspection of universals and carrier bearing , replace all if you find 1-2 questionable.

While your at it check your pinions for seepage and tightness.

But first off I would throw some new batteries in there because cold weather is right around the corner and you are going to need those cranking amps. Thoroughly wiggle and check all you cable ends from grounds to positives.

That barely touches on everything else that could need replacement but if you can keep the fluids in and circulating that’s 10% of the battle.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    gekko1323 Thanks this.
  4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Hey it’s all in what you like. I would rather own a fld flat top or set forward axle eagle than a new cascadia. You can dump all the money in that Columbia and make it very dependable. Some may think she’s still a Columbia but you may be in heaven driving it. At least you don’t have an automatic, collision avoidance headache, or adaptive can’t drive bells and whistles. All that stuff, the manufacturers add on is just money-making junk. They sit down in. Board meetings and try to figure out how to make trucks more expensive, then lobby politicians and the media to their “safety” schemes. I think your smarter for not falling in their trap. Good on you, now get out there and make more money every month.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I never suggested you change dance partners. Just a good Idea to plan where you are going.

HaulinConestoga Thanks this.
  6. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    The truck is very dependable now. And I want to keep her that way. I kind of HAVE taken a real liking to driving her. My only REAL issue with her is the lack of power on the hills. That is something that I really want to address. I sometimes have to take hills in 4th and 5th. Does that have to do more with the torque or the horsepower?

I kind of share your sentiment about older trucks. There's just something about them...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  7. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Yeah, I think the major priority is the front end. It's not that it's very bad (I've driven worse), it's more of a preventive thing since I don't exactly know everything that the previous owner did to it. The pumps and belts are all new. The inframe was done last October.

HaulinConestoga Thanks this.
  8. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Everything I make is going into the kitty. I have about $15k in the maintenance account. I don't want to get caught with my pants around my ankles. I'm living below my means and actually enjoy it. Hell, not everyone would sleep in their cab without a/c in 115 degree weather like I just went through this past week up in Stockton.

Oxbow and HaulinConestoga Thank this.
  9. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Exactly. Refurbish the important stuff so she keeps making money. You have an old Freightliner too, right?

Oxbow, D.Tibbitt and HaulinConestoga Thank this.
  10. HaulinConestoga

HaulinConestoga Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2022
    I concur, definitely address the obvious first. It looks cleaner than 98% of the other Columbias out there with no grease stained fingerprints all over it and all the fairings intact , repainted recently or original paint?

At least it’s a light color for dealing with the heat with no a/c

Oxbow and gekko1323 Thank this.
  11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Fix the things that cost you money. Front end loose? That'll eat tires. Snap crackle and pop is never good. King pins or spring hangers. Grease does wonders. Take it to a good alignment shop. They will check suspension out good. Fix electrical issues. Burned up truck ain't worth much.

Oxbow, ODR, Siinman and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.