Putting a little money into my truck. What should I prioritize?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by gekko1323, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Have you had it aligned since you bought it? That would be top of the list. Go to a MD alignment and they can tell you everything that is wrong with front end. They would be my first step.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    No offense taken!

Oxbow and HaulinConestoga Thank this.
  4. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Hello Lloyd. The alignment is straight as an arrow. I let go of the wheel all the time and she doesn't give an inch, even if I'm doing 65. Where is MD alignment? Can they do the rebuild?

Siinman Thanks this.
  5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Yes an alignment shop can check out your entire suspension and tell you if anything needs replaced and replace it for you. Bushings, kingpins, and the sort

Oxbow, Siinman, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  6. HaulinConestoga

HaulinConestoga Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2022
    If you have the means to jack it up and get a 3 foot pry bar under it or a garage to do it and pry up to check you kingpins for play.
    If it’s going down the road straight and the tires are not wearing unevenly it could be as simple as a bad shock or spring bushings.
    Either way have it looked at when you get a chance.

Pictures are worth a thousand words on this site. A lot of mechanically experienced people on this site.

I just hang out here because I work for Gieco and I want to Save you 30%

7. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I thought you wanted to save us 20%...

Oxbow, Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I read the first page, and couldn’t take any more. Everyone seems to think you’re Truck is doomed. I disagree. Fresh inframe being the biggest cost already done is great. Run the Truck. Get the front end inspected, fix the a/c. Change fluids in rears and trans if they look bad, not if they look clean. Next brake job, change wheel seals, and inspect bearings. Simple things like belts and hoses. Check coolant for proper ph balance. Change Coolant filter if equipped, use a need release additive type. Keep running it, watching things, replace as necessary. Don’t try to make it a new Truck, by wasting money. Save it for an unexpected repair. No reason you can’t get 7 yrs. or 1 million miles. Do it right, and your overall average maintenance cost will be low.

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    HP is just a number. Used to a tune up was set a good overhead, check fuel pressure as well as restriction. Install the sight glass and verify it isnt getting air in it. Don’t just test the CAC but plug off the fresh air side of turbo to test the entire system from turbo to head for leaks. Even the most minor are major. Takes a huge leak not to reach full boost. Then check both sides of the turbo for any and all damage to the wheels. Most common missed is damage to the exhaust wheel.

10. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
  11. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I appreciate it. Yes, I was kind of surprised at all the "negative Nellies" that responded quickly. I think I found a hidden gem honestly.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.