Question about disqualification before getting cdl

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by mikewu9900, Sep 13, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's ok. You are doing good.

In my time early trucking days back in the old Class A (Prior to the CDL years) I had a stack of tickets. Finally a small ticket for 28 in a 25 in town by a local lawman tipped it over in points for the court shortly after. Instead of 8 points the judge knocked it to 7 and sent me to DMV for a talking to. DMV boss in a small room says this is you? This stack of tickets? Speeding? Give me that license. You are trucking? Yes. He exploded and then listed all the things they could do at a whim to totally "Ground me" as it were (His words)

It was a touch and go year, I maintained trucking employment but no body in the company was happy. Probably because of the insurance and god knows what else. We had none of the speed limiters or anything at all in those days. So I run wild. Dispatch wants this in Cincinatti in 4 hours? Sure thing let's go. (Normal speed is 9 hours to cincy...) so I blame them for being able to foster a situation where lawbreaking was routine.

Considering what I was in those days to what I am now two completely different things. Much better to be here than back then I tell you. At the same time I am blown away by the things I see in the drug world so to speak that has come to pass. I keep a driver on hand for much of carefully planned trips. I do not drive myself until I have had 9 times 7 hours from last dose of my medicine (Which is instant arrest DUI, on two of them) before I drive so I generally reserve a week of every month to get all my own trips in to give my driver a break.

That's how i do it anyhow. There is room for improvement. My story is my own. Im not here to fight, just to try and help a little bit of something where possible.

I still think I can get to cincy in 3. If I had enough horses today compared to the 450 (Non computer) I had back then.

mikewu9900 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I think Rhode Island DMV gave you wrong info.
    Here's why: If you already had a CDL and were CONVICETED of DUI/DWI, your CDL would be suspended for one year, assuming it is your first one. (Google CDL DUI DWI Rhode Island.)
    Reckless driving is a serious offense, but not as serious as driving while impaired. Why would conviction of a lesser offense lead to a far longer disqualifying period?

Call DMV and ask them how long your CDL would be suspended if you got a DUI/DWI. (Answer: If it is your first DWI - one year. If you are hauling Hazmat - 3 years. If it is your second DWI - permanently.)
    Then ask if you have a regular driver's license (not a CDL) and get a reckless driving or DWI conviction, how long do you have to wait until you can get a CDL.
    @TROOPER to TRUCKER
    @Chinatown

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I doubt dmv gave you wrong info. If you went in and asked, sure it's possible.
    The fact they called you means a flag was tripped by the software. Someone then looked at what the issue was and then called you.

Of course that said, verify with the dmv and see what they say. If you are disqualified, well like others said, Jan is just around the corner.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s true. They got him on Fed rule for disqualifying reasons . No suspensions 3 yrs prior. It happened to me .At the time it would have better had I already had C1 (cdla) . What was really aggravating at time was my brother in law telling me I should have done like him and forged Employer signature. As that’s all you needed b4 cdl laws.My answer which I stand by today was I’m Gonna do it the right way. So I’m covered,

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    It all depends on the state. That is why we just need one system that blankets all states.

REO6205 and John A. Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Wrong The reason he was disqualified is exactly the first of all Fed New CDL rules for Eligibility. Effective whith the implement of CDL affecting New Applicants only

8. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Sounds about right. Sorry to be a D!ck. But, decisions have consequences.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    These are rules effective in all states. His disqualification was for having a suspension within 36 mo of trying to obtain a CDL. All the details why where right wrong how don’t matter. The fact of the actual suspension is one of a few reasons on the list.Sure every state has different Penalties and point systems.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was referring to if the regular dL was suspended the state may prohibit a license at any time.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Also you hold one license.

It does not matter what class. If a "LICENSE" IS SUSPENDED or REVOKED.. if it's a India put put or a road train and everything in between. It's still suspended or revoked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.