Question about electric and diesel apu

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by J4yPanda, Jun 1, 2023.

1. J4yPanda

J4yPanda Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Maryland
    The last company I drove for only have electric apu so I’ve never tried diesel APUs. I’m looking at 2020 cascadia with tripac diesel apu. Does the power to the inverter cuts off when the apu is off?

so scenario: I have a ps5 that I usually run in idle mode. It does not like it when power is cut off. So if I turn off the apu and get ready to drive, will power to the inverter be cut off?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Inverter is run off the truck. APU’s charges trucks batteries. Usually APU’s have a couple of their own outlets that would indeed cut off, but if you stick to the separate inverter, no it won’t cut off

J4yPanda Thanks this.
  4. J4yPanda

J4yPanda Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Maryland
    If you uses appliance that uses a lot of power, which is the better option?

When I plug my coffee machine into the electric apu, it basically sucks all the power instantly. So I have to start the truck every time I want to use it. Is this the same for diesel powered apu?

5. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Yes if you pull a big draw on the batteries from the inverter the APU will need to run. If you have to run your truck for your coffee pot on the electric APU then a diesel APU is the best option because their purpose is to save you from idling the truck saving money on fuel plus the health of your emissions system, idling is the death of your emissions system.

Bean Jr. and J4yPanda Thank this.
  6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    The tripac doesn’t have an inverter built in. One is installed to the truck. Rest of your questions are confusing so here we go…

For example, in my truck that had a tripac apu, the inverter is installed to the truck as most others with tripacs. I could run the microwave for a few minutes with apu and truck off. If you wanted to let’s say run a PS5, yes it would run wether the truck was on or off. However I would imagine the inverter would beep eventually for low power and you would have to turn the truck or apu on. It depends on the PS5 draw. Something with a low draw such as a fan can run probably 48 hours before you had issues.

7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    If the apu is installed correctly, it monitors the batteries and will start and recharge them when they get to a pre determined level. (12.2v is where I had mine set to start) Shutting off when it reaches full charge. They also do the coolant, starting when coolant reaches 32f and running ro keep the engine warm so no cold starts.

Siinman and Constant Learner Thank this.
  8. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't get it. My Pete has a smart air. I run coffee pots, hair dryer [ although on high it will trip inverter ] just about anything. Even run my small window ac unit I use since my condensor went bad on truck.
    I use 4 deep cycle batteries.
    Seems to me that your problem is not the apu but the inverter can't handle the load .
    Al l inverters are not created equal . That junk in truck stops is just that.

Vampire, gekko1323 and Siinman Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I wonder how the locals are doing it.
    Operations that require truck running to operate the loading and unloading. Tankers for instance.

10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    As far as I know. The thermokings I’ve had only had an alternator meaning the only outlets on my truck were with an inverter connected to my truck’s batteries and they worked anytime we had 12 or more volts. Any time the battery voltage dropped to 12.1 or lower the apu would kick on. The Carrier I had on my last truck had an alternator AND a generator. It had its own outlet that would only work when the the apu was on. I liked the carrier more than the thermoking IMO it had a tendency to keep going even with a trouble code on vs the thermoking just shut down and was useless until I got it to the shop. Only issue with the carriers was the weak AC output.

Vampire Thanks this.
  11. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Not quite sure what you're asking but like my truck has a liftgate and to keep from zapping the batteries quick it's either run the truck or I have a generator on mine I fire it up while running the liftgate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.