Question about electric and diesel apu

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by J4yPanda, Jun 1, 2023.

1. J4yPanda

J4yPanda Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Maryland
    The last company I drove for only have electric apu so I’ve never tried diesel APUs. I’m looking at 2020 cascadia with tripac diesel apu. Does the power to the inverter cuts off when the apu is off?

I’ve drove two trucks with electric apu. The 2019 apu cuts power to the inverter every time the truck starts, killing power to the ps5 while I was playing. The other 2023 I drove doesn’t do this.

does anyone know if the 2021 cascadia factory apu will cut power during startup?

And for diesel apu, will there still be power supplied when the apu is turned off?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I drove 2020 Cascadia and 2021 Kenworth with Thermoking Tripac diesel-powered APUs. The power inverter is almost always briefly turned off during the cranking of the truck engine. Cranking the starter requires a huge amount of power from the truck batteries. Because of this every, or almost every other electrical circuit of the truck is briefly disconnected from the truck electrical sources for the brief moment you turn the key to the Start position.

Every diesel-powered APU I've ever used would have the APU shutdown when the truck key was turned to the run position. There is no practical reason for the APU to be consuming fuel after the start of the truck engine. The purpose of the APU is to provide HVAC and electrical power when the truck engine is not running. You wouldn't install a back-up engine in your car so you can keep driving when the engine under the hood is shut off.

Some drivers or mechanics may have installed an inverter on their truck in a way that avoids the inverter power being interrupted during a truck engine start, but it's not common or standard, and probably not at all safe.

J4yPanda Thanks this.
  4. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Here's my suggestion on the diesel APU when you shut down for your 10 just fire up your APU and let it run while playing your PS5 then there will be no interruptions.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

6. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
  7. J4yPanda

J4yPanda Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Maryland
    I actually was using one but spilled coffee on it. Rip $150

8. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    The Tripac Evo (diesel) uses a voltage sensor that will start, run, and charge your batteries when they are low, and it also lets you run the inverter solely off the batteries. The inverter also stays on when your truck's engine is running. I.E., the inverter is actually always on unless you turn it off manually (which you should always do when your shutting down for any length of time).

- The type and number of batteries your truck has - starter batteries, or better yet, dual purpose or deep cycle batteries - determines how long you can run hotel loads with the APU engine remaining off.

- Running a high draw load, like a microwave or a coffee maker, tends to kick on the Tripac "Autostart" feature even if the load is only temporary and not really going to draw down much of your total battery power. Which can be a bit of a pain. But the Tripac will automatically turn itself off again eventually.

- The Tripac Evo AC requires that your APU be running constantly to operate (because the engine directly drives the AC compressor).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.