Question about investors in the trucking business

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker.1986, May 22, 2024.

1. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Years ago the cartoon in one Transport Topics, the weekly transportation newspaper before the web, was a exceutive behind his desk facing a suited man holding a breifcase emblazoned with 'DOT' with the caption I'm here to see how you can follow all our rules and STILL make money".

Before de-regulation one needed the suport of one, or more, shippers to gain authority and every potential customer had a traffic department being wined and dined by motor carriers sales departments. Everything was listed in the tarriff book and below rate 'discounts' had to be filed as an addendum to the tarriff.

Then came the 80's and all those rites and tariff filings went out the window.

Anyone could now get authority and the rates nosedived as competing carriers cut each other's throats seeking to maintain some sort of customer base.

Along came brokers feeding on clearing away the stuff others didn't want to haul.

Without a steady customer and a year round commitment OP is limiting to the ground floor of traffic where the potential gain is limited and OP seems to be a bit business savy but ready to redirect when the shine wears off.

A kennel cannot produce 8 litters a year from 4 foundation dogs forever without working to add and improve their foundation and investing considerable time and effort.

Somehow I do not see this working.

86scotty, Trucker.1986 and wifi_guru Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker.1986

Trucker.1986 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2024
    Well said

4. Trucker.1986

May 22, 2024
    It's cut throat in every sector of business. Yes in theory they can I don't take in more then I can afford to sell. And my capacity to sell is 4 to 8 litters a year and that's why I maintain only 4 at a time. Realistically I do 4 litters a year. I add dogs as I retire a dog from my program.

5. wifi_guru

wifi_guru Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2024
    ole ####### is in trouble

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Honest talk, hand: Do you know what will be the most difficult part of the plan is?

What you should have done BEFORE starting this thread was…

…GET SOME YEARS UNDER YOUR BELT RUNNING SOLO.
    Why? What difference would a couple of years of learning the business make? Well, you have this mindset that you can throw money and solve all problems. That’s laughable. Do this instead:

Mike Rowe It.

Go get your CDL and take a job at the worst mega carrier there is. Sit in those trucking terminals and watch the garbage that they’re churning out and putting in trucks. Listen to Therese Braindead Steeringwheelholders and learn their mindset. For every decent, capable driver you meet at Moron MegaCarrier, you’ll encounter 500 that are garbage. Do you really want to start a business where everything depends on fat, smelly, effeminate, non road sign reading self centered sidewalk sissy steeringwheelholder doing his job? The hardest part about your plan will be to find competent drivers. What you will realize is that you will meet people who, like you, will talk grandiose things, but will be unable to deliver. Lifestyle? Yeah, handholding and babysitting a bunch of 355Lb guys who struggled to wipe their arse and hypersensitive and indecent in public.

I actually hope that you are successful and build your dream company. Educate yourself by taking the crappy route and do the dirty jobs. It will be the fastest and most memorable education to prep you for your company. And you will know how to spot talented drivers from the garbage. Update us in a year or so.

Six back quiet.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    One more thing…the whole investor thing wanting to put money in a business that neither of you know anything about is creepy. Like candy bar in prison creepy.

Six back quiet.

Sons Hero and Concorde Thank this.
  8. Trucker.1986

May 22, 2024
    I cannot agree more. No one care more about your business then you the owner. Good workers are a dime a dozen I know first hand. Probably why most places I worked at worked hard to keep me untill I became a competitor.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

You run a puppy mill ? Do your dogs go to owners or are you selling to research labs? What's your AKC number?

Back on topic...You asked for advice. You were given advice. Take the advice.

88 Alpha and Sons Hero Thank this.
  10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    so your just looking for a write off? Or to run a profitable business?

Either way don’t do it, partnerships never work

Trucker.1986 Thanks this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Flip the script:

"I'm a successful truck O/O and want to get into dog breeding. I owned a dog that once had puppies, and that went pretty okay. I'm fine using the profits from my trucking company to fund and support the puppy business for several years. I figure I can let the truck business run on auto pilot most of the time so I can focus on the dogs, but when the trucks need me I will take time off from the dogs".

Sounds pretty inane, doesn't it?

If you have a successful business and want the "travel lifestyle", put two thirds of your planned start up costs into an annuity, buy an rv with the other third. Should pay you $600-700 a month which would cover most of the costs of "van life".

86scotty and Sons Hero Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.