Question about o/o income potential

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bulletbutter, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bulletbutter

bulletbutter Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Borger, Tx
    How does being an O/O work? Do you still work for a company or do you book your own jobs? If you can do both what are the advantages and disadvantages of each and what do most O/O end up doing? Aside from expenses, how much can an O/O team expect to be making?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Somewhere....
    A bajillion bazillion dollars !!!!

4. Spaceshrimp

Spaceshrimp Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Houston
    U can still work for a company and run under their authority or u can have your own authority and be totally independent, mostly work for brokers.

Advantages of working for a company are fuel discounts, 24 hour road service, u dont have to buy a trailer, u dont have to deal with fuel tax and similar paperwork, and if u are driving for a company like Crete- Shaffer-JB Hunt, DOT will never give u hard time, in fact they will treat u like u are their nephew or something .

Disadvantages; You will haul cheap freight, even if the freight is not cheap u will haul it cheap. You wont be making much more than a company driver in fact. So being an owner operator and driving for a major company is not about money. It is about freedom. Your freedom is the only difference than a company driver.

I am doing it, i dont like it, but i do not have much of a choice at the moment untill i save some money and get more experience. Owner operator couples make more money than solos. (If both drivers)

However there are still some decent companies that u can make fair money, even good money. But they mostly require at least 3 years experience if not more.

If u decide to run under your own authority, u better know what u are doing, or u may get lost out there. It aint picnic walk, those guys are real owner operators and u will be competing with them. I dont even count myself as an O/O yet. Maybe a noobie O/O :biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.