Question about prime dealing with lumpers

Discussion in 'Prime' started by realicon, Sep 5, 2009.

1. realicon

realicon Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    cincinnati,ohio
    I hear from others about having to pay lumpers to unload/load you. My question(s) are

1.) If i decide to do it myself can i make decent money every time?

2.) Do prime reimburse you if you have to use a lumper according to whatever contract they have with client?

I will hopefully be on my way to Springfield in the next couple of weeks but in the meantime i'm trying to get as much knowledge as possible.As always i appreciate your help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Question about prime dealing with lumpers

Don't you just hate dealing with lumpers? Stupid tarp gets a big lump in it and you have to use your winch bar to beat it flat...:biggrin_2559:

4. RangerBIll

RangerBIll Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Montrose, CO
    funny there notarps4me

5. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Company drivers get 100 percent reimbursed for lumpers with a proper reciept. There is a pay scale by the piece or by the weight you can get paid for lumping your own... Ive never done, so I couldnt tell you...

I would rather be logged in the Sleeping Berth than wasting my clock on unloading.

As I understand it, with the lease guys, Prime submits the lumper bill to the shipper and the lease guy only gets re-imbursed if the shipper ponys up for it. Unless lumper fee is included in the dispatch.

realicon Thanks this.
  6. realicon

realicon Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    cincinnati,ohio
    Thanks U2exit i hope everything goes well when i come up there. I already have my Class A permit so that should eliminate me having to take the Missouri written test and just move onto the 2nd phase being paired with a instructor then trainer to complete my 100 hours pass the skills test then 60k-80k

7. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    If you're leasing you get reimbursed whatever the customer pays Prime for the lumper. In over 3 years here, i've only not gotten a full reimbursement once, and on that load it clearly stated on the dispatch that the reimbursement would only be $120. On the flip side of that, had the lumper on that load only cost me $50, I still would have got the whole $120.

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Just remember, everyday is National Slap the Snot Out of a Lumper Day!

9. TruckerMike

TruckerMike Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Chicago
    And from what I understand, Prime prefers you just hire the lumper.

I had a lumper fee of $425 a few weeks ago.:biggrin_2551: Prime acted like it was business as usual. Eeesh.

10. Lynchmob

Lynchmob Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Where do you get these lumpers? are they like lepers on the side of the road? "Oy, you!, wanna unload me truck an I'll give yeh a few 'undred quid?"

Don't know where the English accent came from. Guess my people yell out of windows at people a lot?:biggrin_2556:

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Comes out of the distant past when in fact that's what happened. It's more organized now...

Many companies hire their own receiving dock workers - and don't charge you for unloading. However, there are a lot of places that don't work it that way - they subcontract the unloading function to companies who hire people to shlep the pallets and breakdown the loads - lumpers.

A lot of drivers - especially independents - do their own lumping to save the costs involved, and bill the shippers for their time. Prime used to allow us to do that, and pay ourselves what the lumpers would charge. The policy changed some time ago, now they will pay us a really minor amount per thousand pounds, mostly to discourage the practice. Too many workmen's comp claims. It's cheaper to pay the lumpers in the long run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.