Question about the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Unclehams, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I am an owner operator/Lease operator in that I am buying my truck from a different source other than employer which is not technically owner operator but I don't want to be lumped in with the guys on the never never truck buy plan.

Driving 10 years, purchased truck after 7 years.

Ok Question.
    I leased on to a very small 5 truck company. They paid the 550 dollar yearly tax and took it out of my settlement. They said they included it with my paperwork but I can't find it.

I am now leasing on to another company, small company. They require that paper to fully register my truck so I can start hauling.

Is there a way to reprint it or what are my options? I can't seem to get thru to the IRS, is there a way to have the DMV - IFTA see that its already been paid or do I need to pay it again?

Any advice from one driver to a professional driver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Contact the previous company - and get the receipt.

It took 3 months for my snail mail receipt this year, and I hung up after 1.5 hours on hold - so the IRS won’t be much help.

I wonder what happens if you have a 3rd party attempt to pay it again?

stillwurkin and cke Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It would be a lot faster to get a EIN and sign up with a online service and do it yourself.

5. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    I used E-File IRS HVUT Form 2290 Online and Get Schedule 1 in Minutes for the past few years before I retired, no problems.
    A real person always answered the phone.
    I personally would pay what is owed myself, then you're in control and not dependent on the previous company for anything. What is their motivation to do anything in a timely manner?
    At least call the service and ask what they think, BOL

blairandgretchen and nikmirbre Thank this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I just received my 2290 receipt today. Oct 26. I mailed the $550 check July 14th to Cincinnati. Receipt came from Ogden, Utah. At least I got it. Your right his previous employer needs to cough it up. That is..if they actually paid it?

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    IRS stopped processing the HVUT returns for a couple months. The china virus caused a shortage of workers.

Call the IRS, ask for a copy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.