Question about the LTL and parcel industries.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike_77, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Did you ever wonder why there has been basically a duopoly (Fedex & UPS) in the domestic parcel industry. I know there are some regional and local parcel/courier operations but they are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I would include DHL in this group due to their mostly limited US effort over the years. DHL exited the US domestic market back in 2008. Now we come to LTL which in many ways is very similar to Parcel , but unlike the parcel duopoly the LTL industry is highly fragmented with many regional, super regional and national companies like:
    -FedEx Freight
    -Saia
    -Reddaway
    -Estes
    -UPS Freight LTL
    -Oak Harbor
    To name a few. Anybody ever wonder why things turned out this way?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I have often wondered this. There’s thousands of TL companies but like you said only a handful of LTL that are “major players” for lack of a better term. My only thought is perhaps the hassles of LTL, to wit; damaged freight claims, hiring, equipment, customer base, and a cut throat market just isn’t worth dealing with. Not to mention the wear and tear of equipment constantly in a city environment.
    It is interesting what you said about DHL I all but forgot about them. Weren’t they like one of the few parcel companies servicing the Middle East, but then since they weren’t an operating US company they couldn’t fly in or out of the US so they had to contract that out or something? Sounds like a headache.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  4. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I believe the reason there is more TL companies than LTL's is because of what economists refer to as "barriers to entry", which is much higher for a start up LTL's relative to TL startups. All you need to get into TL is a couple tractors and trailers and your in business. On the other hand LTL requires a network of terminals, forklifts, lift gate trailers, terminal management etc, all this costs big $$$. I also suspect our modern economy demands more TL service than LTL???? If this speculation is correct I suspect that might be changing as consumers become more comfortable with e-commerce and move away from big box stores?

I don't know to much about DHL other than their based in Europe and they are big into international parcel shipments.

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    What you said about barriers to entry applies even more to package. That's probably your answer. LTL is extremely complex compared with TL operations as you noted, and it's a similar jump in complexity comparing LTL to package. In package, the terminal buildings themselves are incredibly complex, not to mention the network of airplanes and airport hub facilities required for FedEx Express and UPS to provide fast long-distance service.

Where you can break LTL terminals down to basically a slab of concrete under a roof with some forklifts inside, the system of conveyors and scanners required to load packages into the correct trailers, and the incredible amount of manpower required to physically hand load and unload them, would present a massive barrier to entry. I don't think even Amazon would try starting their own package transportation system up from scratch. Hell, FedEx Ground didn't even really do that; they bought the failing RPS (Roadway Package Service).

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Amazon is probably the only company that I am aware of with long term plans and the abilities to actually move many of their own packages. Amazon spent $16.2 Billion last year on shipping costs. If they can only save a fraction of that, it is still a huge savings. They are currently building a $1.49 Billion air hub at the Northern Ky/Cincy airport to grow their air network. From what I have read, they do plan on being a major player in the transportation business one day even if it is only moving their own packages. They realize that to profitably do so they may have to also deliver others packages. I don’t think they will in my lifetime handle all of their transportation needs, but I do see them eventually being the biggest competitor to UPS and Fred Ex. The advantage they have is they can grow their delivery business in markets where it makes sense and allow carriers to do so where the volume is not there. Just my opinion, but I follow Amazon news fairly close as I have a vested interest in them.

Mike_77, Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Good point about the massive costs, and I forgot about that air hub deal. If anyone could do it from the ground up, it would be Amazon. They could probably do it with a fresher perspective and maybe do things more efficiently, but I wonder about the growing pains involved with reinventing the wheel so to speak.

They are probably using their established relationships with UPS and the USPS as research into how to go about it. I just think if they could do it through acquisition, they would. But I doubt FedEx is for sale...

Banker Thanks this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I agree that they probably won’t buy a parcel shipping company, but you never know. I think that if you look back in history at UPS in 1907 and then look at what the world may look like 111 years from now. Amazon could very well dominate the shipping industry, if there is still such a thing. I think for the foreseeable future they will be more like Wal-Mart or Frito-Lay and other companies that have private fleets. It will be more of a complement to outside carriers than a replacement.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I talk about this in my latest entry in the JB Hunt thread.
    Basically LTL has a much higher entry barrier.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    CF tried the whole parcel business and air freight business thing. CF gave up on the parcel business in the 1970s and the air freight business almost bankrupted the entire company in 1990.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    My dad used to work for Roadway Package Service well a contractor of there's and RPS was successful, but they were sold off and bought out.

Handling small parcels takes tons of men, buildings, and machines and vehicles same LTL work.
    Truck Load which really look at the JB Hunt Book Thread we talk about this exact subject today truck load has a much lower entry barrier. Chapter 2 of JB Hunt Long Haul to Success gives the exact reasons. Maybe I'll do a You Tube Video and read straight from the book.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.