Question about where the starter bolts up on D16

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by loudtom, Jan 25, 2022.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    So I just removed the Mitsubishi starter on my D16 and replaced it with the Delco for my truck. When I bolted on the new starter and got all the wires in, I noticed that the lower right side didn't cover the entire mounting surface and I could see the clean metal and a slot from where I removed the previous starter. When I inspected the old starter, the lower left side was flat, and the lower right side had a curved plate that would cover the exposed area. I didn't bother to compare this to the new one, but I'm fairly certain all 3 sides are equally curved on it.

Is this going to create a problem where oil, dirt, water, etc can get into the starter gear area? It looks like the hole where the starter gear goes is sealed, and the exposed area is just a second slot around it, but I have no idea if they're connected somehow. The old starter does not have the rotatable head like I've seen on some of the 39MT starters, so it doesn't look like I can easily swap out the heads on them. Other than this issue, the starter works great, I just wonder if this will create any issues over time, and if so, what is the solution?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    20220126_130000.jpg

The space I'm talking about is to the right of the nut, near the electric wire to the solenoid. There is bare metal where the old starter used to cover.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    starter bolts up to flywheel housing there is more dirt in there from clutch dust than there is outside will say that the starter you put on you could rotate the mounting bracket to mount however u want, you will not have any problems more clutch dust will come out than anything will go inside not something you should worry about, hope you have the right starter D16 has bigger amp draw so if not right that starter will go out way quicker than the old one.

loudtom Thanks this.
  5. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, it's supposed to be correct. They matched it with the VIN and it matches the number for the D16 on the cross reference sheet from Delco, 8200433.

6. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted