Question for Crude Drivers about overfilling a trailer

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rocket79, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Rocket79

Rocket79 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    For experiences crude drivers I have a question.

If one was loading a crude trailer, say your standard 200 barrel trailer loading from a standard 20 feet 400 barrel tank and for whatever reason you didn’t stop the pump and you over filled , what exactly would happen.

Would the oil pop out of the top out of the manhole cover.

Would the oil pop open the the bolted in scrub out valves on top.

Or would it just shoot out of the vapor line.

I tend to believe the latter. I tend to believe it would come out the vapor line. As the Manhole cover is typically clamped in, and the scrub out valves are bolted in.

It’s hard to explain why I’m asking, but I need the opinion of experienced crude haulers.

Perhaps some of you had a co worker that over filled. What happened? Did it come out of the vapor line ?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Depends on how fast the pump is pumping...... the faster the pump is going the more oil comes out anywhere it can......

Vapor for sure manholes probably too.... clean out caps probably also..

And no I’ve never done it.... but have arrived on site shortly after it happened.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Since this is your first post I'm going to assume the worst... I hauled crude for a year in 2013 Watford City ND... I never personally spilled and I've never seen it come out the Vent tube, but first place its gonna come out is probably gonna be the vent tube.. Did you spill some on site or something?

Oxbow, rabbiporkchop and Rocket79 Thank this.
  5. Rocket79

Rocket79 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    So the clean out caps being bolted in could still pop out in that scenario? I wouldn’t think a truck pump would be strong enough to do that.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    The laws of nature especially gravity will take place its going to come out of the softest point or place where it has access to move that may be the vent, it could also if its pumping faster than it can escape blow the actual tank out and then burst if the welds are weak.

Rocket79 Thanks this.
  7. Rocket79

Rocket79 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I was assigned a trailer that should of been tagged out but wasn’t. I loaded about 180 barrels, started to leave the lease and see oil coming out the back of the tanker. I was like WTF how did this happen. Then I realized the scrub caps had been taken off by the mechanics and that’s how the oil came out. I explained this to safety guy but he’s like no you overfilled, I explained that I doubt that could even happen, but I got canned and they put it on my DAC. I’m thinking of trying to sue but don’t know how I can prove this, unless I can prove it’s not even possible which I don’t think it is. But wondering if anyone’s seen this happen. What’s really messed up is that the tank I pulled from only had 10 feet 6 inches in it so the most one could get out of it is maybe 185 barrels, so impossible to overfill a 200 barrel trailer. But the smart people in the office wouldn’t listen when I told them that.

8. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I would've took pictures of the gauge before I loaded it.. Did it have the digital gauge for barrel count on the side?

9. Rocket79

Rocket79 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    No I didn’t take pics , I didn’t think they’d can me at the time. This happened in West Texas, now I’m back home in California thinking I’d just get a local tank job and move on. But most won’t hire me after seeing this on my DAC. I try to explain but nobody believes me. It’s terrible when you know your innocent and yet. NObody will believe you. A court of law may be my only chance but how could I prove this ?

10. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I've been in your shoes, not with spilling but with other things... trust me it does get better but yea you may have to hire a lawyer... I hope it gets better for you...

rabbiporkchop and Rocket79 Thank this.
  11. Rocket79

Rocket79 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I’ve thought about writing a letter to the owner of the company and hopefully he investigates and realizes that overfilling 185 barrels of oil in a crude tanker isn’t possible. And hopefully he doesn’t want to go to court and pay to fight me when he can rectify the situation just by removing this from my DAC.

But if anyone has ever experienced an overfill type of spill I’d love to know if I’m correct that’ll just come out of the vapor line.

In the meantime guess I’ll start calling lawyers and see if I have a case.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.