Question for the brokers about detention

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have a place that I deliver to that I go there for multiple brokers.

I have some Brokers they pay me $50 an hour, I have some of the pay $40 an hour, I have some that pay $30 an hour, and I also have some that pay after two hours and some that pay after 3 hours.

Now I have a feeling you're going to tell me it's about the contract the broker has with them, but how can that be all of this is completely different?

PPDCT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Some set their own terms, some use the shippers, and some none at all

PPDCT and Dino soar Thank this.
  4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    What @wichris said. It's going to depend on the broker, what you negotiate, and so on. I don't know what they get from their customer for detention. As for me, I always pass through the accessorial pays. I don't find it good practice to make money there, for a variety of reasons.

xsetra, Dino soar, p608 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. ranger2.3t

ranger2.3t Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2021
    Ask for the brokers detention policy before booking the load. Additionally, make sure you let the brokers dispatch know when you have arrived so the clock starts ticking, and there is no argument later on.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well like I do do that and I really don't generally have a problem getting detention.

It just makes me wonder when one place pays you $50 an hour after 2 hours and another place pays you whatever it is 25 or $30 an hour after 3 hours and it's the same place... I just wonder why that is.

I mean obviously if the place is paying $50 an hour to one broker they would pay that to every broker oh, it would appear to me anyway. And if they hey after 2 hours then that's what they do.

So when you have a broker they page after 3 and he's paying a lesser rate, it makes me wonder whether that broker is pocketing that money or whether they're just trying to present something cheaper to that facility to try to get more work at the trucks expense, I don't know I just wonder.

And as far as what I myself can negotiate I don't see that I can and if I can you can tell me that I can but I don't see how I can.

Maybe there are some smaller Brokers that you can but these Brokers don't have their policies in place and it's basically take it or leave it. You can negotiate the rate but the accessories I have not seen that happen.

And I could completely be wrong but I think the reason for that is because the accessories are already figured with that customer. So if I tell them now I want you to pay me after 2 hours I think they're just going to say no that's the agreement we have with them is after 3 for whatever reason.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not necessarily. They could have a deal with broker A to pay $30 /hr and broker B to to pay $50/hr because broker be had a better sales guy. The shipper them uses broker A for 95% of their loads while broker be only gets 5%.
    Or it could be the shipper is paying the same freight to every broker and not paying detention time and the broker is eating that cost as a way to get trucks in.

PPDCT and tequesia2 Thank this.
  8. ranger2.3t

ranger2.3t Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2021
    From experience I know, a broker knows their clients bad habits of detaining drivers for extended periods of time, often the broker negotiates the rate knowing that they will have to pay detention. Alot of detention cost are eaten by the broker, not a money making tool where the broker are billing their clients more for detention and paying out less.

Rideandrepair, PPDCT and tequesia2 Thank this.
  9. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The problem when you go to a customer with a detention policy it usually works both ways. The shipper takes X time, they pay detention. A truck is late X time, they charge you.

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    It could be as @ZVar said, on both counts. As you also wondered, It can also be the other broker pocketing a portion of the detention, or offering their customer a lower rate. Without personally knowing the brokers in question, It's really impossible for me to say. We stick pretty hard to the $50/hr after two hours for most standard loads.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm not a broker, Dino, but if there were a place where I needed detention more than once, and it sounds like you've been here a dozen times, I wouldn't bet back.

With one exception, if my house is next door.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.