Question for you broker guys.....

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by rank, Dec 20, 2012.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Why is it that the trucking companies are expected to pay for someone else's screw ups?

Most brokers will try to get 2 free hours on the load, another 2 free clearing customs and another 2 free at the delivery. I've even had brokers tell me that it's the first 2 hours but they round up to the nearest half hour and then pay detention in 30 minute increments so it's actually 3 hrs free.

Paying $50/hr or even $35, when the shipper is paying $75.

Claiming to pass all detention money on to the truck when it's not true.

Refusing to pay detention until it's collected from the customer.

Not paying detention unless it's collected from the customer.

Sneaking unachievable delivery times on the rate sheet.

Using FCFS when the broker and customer knowingly send in more trucks than can be loaded in a reasonable time.

Attempting to get the freight delivered before revising the rate confirmation so they won't have to pay.

Issuing a revised rate confirmation but adding a separate line item for detention knowing the bondholder will only pay the line haul.

Threatening legal action if freight is held until an equitable detention agreement is reached.

Why? WHY?

So why do brokers do it? Is it because;
    a) the customer will go somewhere else if they don't,
    b) because the bosses tell them to,
    c) to pad their pocketbook,
    d) they think the truck is greedy

Just like to get some honest answers. Tired of the lies.

toss009 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Contrary to popular belief not all brokers are shady douchebags. They face also the same market forces we face. If they were getting $100 from the shipper and selling the load for $75, how long before another broker would come in to the shipper and get the load for say $90? $85? People that think it is really that lucrative should get into brokering then. I do not envy their job.

LSAgentOZR and VisionLogistics Thank this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I'm not even talking about the line haul rate. I'm only asking about the lies that almost always take place when something goes south because someone didn't do their job.

Why doesn't the guilty party just man up and say yeah it wasn't your fault what do you need?

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Quit hauling random general freight loads and network with some agents who have good freight.

6. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Most brokers will try to get 2 free hours on the load, another 2 free clearing customs and another 2 free at the delivery. I've even had brokers tell me that it's the first 2 hours but they round up to the nearest half hour and then pay detention in 30 minute increments so it's actually 3 hrs free. Our policy is 2 free hours on each end then detention is billed in 15 minute increments at whatever contracted rate we have in our agreement with the customer.

Paying $50/hr or even $35, when the shipper is paying $75. Not sure where you got this figure.

Claiming to pass all detention money on to the truck when it's not true. We do pass all detention to the drivers. We keep none of it. That's our agency policy. I can't speak for anyone else.

Refusing to pay detention until it's collected from the customer. That's LS' policy, not mine but detention is an after thought and discussions have to take place and we have to prove detention. It takes time.

Not paying detention unless it's collected from the customer. Again, not my policy. Can't speak for other brokerage houses.

Sneaking unachievable delivery times on the rate sheet. Not all brokers do that. Please don't lump us together. A ton of folks have gotten into this business and take advantage of every opportunity they get to cheat someone... but that's not all of us or even 10% of us.

Using FCFS when the broker and customer knowingly send in more trucks than can be loaded in a reasonable time. I don't do that nor have any control over it. If the shipper/customer is FCFS I don't have any idea what their capacity is. That's not something they tell me, it's none of our business. They tell us they load/unload FCFS and that's what we're to tell the drivers. Get that to change industry wide and I believe we'd all be happier.

Attempting to get the freight delivered before revising the rate confirmation so they won't have to pay. Just another shady trick an individual will do. That's not all of us.

Issuing a revised rate confirmation but adding a separate line item for detention knowing the bondholder will only pay the line haul. I wasn't aware of this actually. Interesting.

Threatening legal action if freight is held until an equitable detention agreement is reached. You don't hold a load hostage, regardless. That's theft, not holding it for negotiation. You can handle claims and detention later and can take a broker to court if need be. It doesn't look good on your end in court if it's found that you held freight hostage. Use your brain, keep your cool, and stay professional.

Homebrew Thanks this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    So just to be clear, when you say "we", are you talking LS or your agency? Because I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have had LS agents offer $50/hr when the shipper was paying $75.

EDIT: never mind I re-read your post and see that's it's your agency policy.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    These aare the good ones. The bad ones try to get away without paying even the line haul.

9. dgc

dgc Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2012
    miami, fl
    Threatening legal action if freight is held until an equitable detention agreement is reached. You don't hold a load hostage, regardless. That's theft, not holding it for negotiation. You can handle claims and detention later and can take a broker to court if need be. It doesn't look good on your end in court if it's found that you held freight hostage. Use your brain, keep your cool, and stay professional.[/QUOTE]

The broker wants you to keep your cool and deliver so he doesnt look bad with his customer. Holding a load hostage is not theft if the broker changed the terms during transit and you have a legal right to lein the freight

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  10. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN

The broker wants you to keep your cool and deliver so he doesnt look bad with his customer. Holding a load hostage is not theft if the broker changed the terms during transit and you have a legal right to lein the freight[/QUOTE]
    Unless it's in your contract that you have a right to place a lien on the load, then it's theft. If the shipper reports its stolen, you're in trouble. It doesn't matter what the broker agreed to. Not only that, but you'll likely get reported to the feds as well and that never bodes well. I'm just saying, I wouldn't recommend it. You do as you want.

11. dgc

dgc Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2012
    miami, fl
    So what then??? i have to deliver on time so the broker looks good, the customer or broker then decide they arent going to pay detention, and i need to pay my attorney a 1500.00 non refundable retainer fee to collect a few hundred dollars from the broker?? yeah right:biggrin_25523:

Obviously if it took longer than the usual two hours to get me loaded, then we already know that there is going to be detention and before i leave, the broker has a choice, either send me a new conformation with my detention pay included, or i will take your word that you will have it to me before I arrive at the delivery. If the broker says he will send it to me and doesn't, then the customer isn't getting his merchandise off my truck. And i will be happy to explain to them why

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.