Question from a member of the public

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Tumbleweed183, May 29, 2018.

1. Tumbleweed183

Tumbleweed183 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2018
    Does anyone know how semi-tractor leasing companies like Success Leasing are able to lease out a brand new truck to someone without any form of credit check? This seems like a big risk for the leasing company and I have never seen such a thing offered for automobiles. From what I have seen on YouTube, there are a lot of truckers who end up walking away from their lease. How do leasing companies absorb the loss of a new tractor that has rapidly depreciated like all new vehicles do the minute they leave the lot?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    At $950+/week for the lease, they're not hurting. Plus, they hold out an EXTRA amount each week to cover maintenance and repairs, and place that in an escrow account. When someone walks before completing the lease, they keep the escrow and recycle the truck to someone else. Same payment, same escrow requirement. They keep re-leasing until it's paid for. Then it's all profit.

skellr and Tumbleweed183 Thank this.
  4. Tumbleweed183

May 23, 2018
    So when they are saying that the truck is "new" that does not always mean that it has not been leased before? It just means that it is a new model year? I assume there is also a penalty for breaking the lease, which along with the escrow payments they keep begins to add up. I was under the impression the trucks are brand new which means a big hit in depreciation within the first few miles. Still seems like a risky way to make a profit. Thank you for your reply.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    This is actually both high risk for the loaner and the loanee and that's why you'll find the lender will charge the lendee a much higher interest rate then say if they borrowed it from the local bank. Banks and other lending institutions have what they call a risk factor, the greater the risk the more down payment (deposit ) is required and with it the higher the interest rate.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Tumbleweed183 Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The leasing company makes the money from your payment.
    Then the leasing company takes the depreciation on the truck off of their taxes.
    Win. Win.

You, the leasor, do not claim any depreciation on you taxes.
    Your lease payment is 100% expense.

If you're asking how do they absorb the hit when somebody wrecks one, they make millions weekly.

Deep pockets.
    They are also self insured.

x1Heavy, Tumbleweed183 and speedyk Thank this.
  7. Tumbleweed183

May 23, 2018
    I have also wondered if the trucking companies themselves actually own the business that is leasing under a different name. That way they could circulate the trucks from failed leases back into their company inventory. One would think there would be such a lease arrangement for new passenger cars and trucks too. If a person is willing to pay a sky-high interest rate in order to lease an expensive vehicle, then you would think there would be some leasing agency out there willing to take their money. Thanks for your reply.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Tumbleweed183

May 23, 2018
    I guess gambling is a big part of leasing and loans. Clearly, these companies are not losing on their bets since they seem to be doing very well and are growing. Thanks for your reply.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah sure is, and again its a 2 way bet both parties are taking a huge risk at the end of the day though i think the lendee is at even more risk as you've got much more to lose if one defaults on payment one gets everything repossessed and still could be left owing the money don't think a lease works the same way as a home mortgage where one can quite literally hand back over the house keys and just walk away.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I bought a tractor back in the 90's the intent was to go through a specific structured 4 year program to have that tractor paid for free and clear, with a full title to my name. There would be a progression during those 4 years time in which I would be taught everything I need to know before I am handed a free and clear title to a now worn out tractor and told bye bye you are now a full owner operator with all this money, would you like a new tractor?

It never ends. Uncle sam would get his taxes. The state theirs, social secrity thiers. and so on. Local taxes too. Fuel taxes, Tires, breaking stuff to be fixed maybe even a engine replacement if you blew it or it blew up. Damaged freight. Trailer repairs.

And on and on and on. The joys of being a Owner Operator. I have said for years that being a W2 company driver is pretty safe as long you learn the industry. But after a certain time, if you are so inclined you can take a 1099 and go own a tractor trailer and everything that goes with such ownership. But it's not for everyone.

If I was still trucking without the disabilities etc incurred by wear and tear of trucking, I would be a O/O hauling medicine as part of a fleet leased to McKesson, one of the top three shippers of medicine, considering that this nation is aging for the next 40 years or so and it's a type of freighting that is way way way better than the common abusive crap that drivers suffer in grocery and cold storage among other things. Class attracts class. When you haul something that is both high dollar (In excess of a million per trailer load) and are involved with people all who have one goal in mind, helping the sick people who needs these medicines in our hospitals and homes it's so worth the effort and dealing with being a 1099 based owner operator. If you do well, you might be two trucks, then four trucks, then 8 trucks, and so on. However much the shipper has loads for you provided you are never late. That's the key to everything. You are running late already, get going.

11. Tumbleweed183

May 23, 2018
    I would think it would definitely be a hard hit on your credit report which is not good for a young person just starting out. I would also think there could be fines involved.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.