Question on axel weights on trucks

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by nerok9, Nov 14, 2007.

1. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I have a question on the amount of weight a truck axel can have. I am finding alot of truck that are being sold with a 38,000 lb rear axel weight limit insread of the 40,000 lb weight limit. Does this limit the amount od weight you can haul (fully loaded). I know that a truck and trailer with a full load can weight 80,000 lb. With the rear axel limit at 38,000 will that knock that down to fully loaded weight to 78,000 lb.

Nerok9

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    This all depends on the state. The general rule if you are going coast to coast so you don't have to worry about it is this:

Total vehicle weight of 80,000 lbs. Thats you and your dog and the fuel. Everything!

Over a single axle, no more then 21,000 lbs. (steers)

Over Tandem's, no more then 34,000 lbs. (drives and trailer)

So you need to fall under two sets of rules. You cant be over so much total, and you cant have too much weight over any axle. On heavy loads, this can be and issue. There is times when we are overweight on just the drives, and if shifting the axles back and forth does not shift the weight enough, it may take reloading differently or taking product off. Its not a total amount added up, its two sets of rules. Hope that helps.

4. dbarton

dbarton Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2007
    canton.IL
    i thought it was 12,000 on your steer axle, 34,000 on your drives, and 34,000 on your trailer, which adds up to 80,000

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

You want to shoot for 12 on steers 34 and 34. On a spread ax we can run 40 on the trl 20 on each spread, but can't gross over 80 total.

6. dbarton

dbarton Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2007
    canton.IL
    yea i knew that but i did not want to get to complexed. just like in florida you can have 44,000 on your drives or your trailer as long as you dont go over 80,000. all kind of different rules in different states.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Yeah, would have to look in the atlas, but think you can run 20 on steers in TN

8. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Like I said, its state by state, and yes, some states it is 12,000 on steers. I was tired that night. LOL

9. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Hey thanks for everyone that has answered the question. Now i have another, So, do you think if i bought a truck that was advetised as having a 12,000# FA and a 38,000# RA, i wouldn't really lose anything in being able to be loaded to the max of 80,000#. Thanks again for all your answers, i am just seeing alot more trucks advertising a 38,000# RA.

NeroK9

10. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

No you wouldn't, because the regular weight limit is 80k, 12 front, 34 drives, 34 tandems, so even if you gross out, you'll still be under the rated max for your drives, and right at the rated max for your steers.

If you are looking at a volvo, I would suggest that you get it with a 13.2k steers, because if you run your fifth wheel set over the front drive (if you are a freight hauler) you will run over 12k on your steers. The VNL I drove was always over 12k even with light loads, and the last FL columbia I drove (which had 12k steers) it would tend to bounce around a lot more. So, I had to run the fifth wheel back a few holes, and take the aerodynamic hit.

11. nerok9

nerok9 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm looking at a KW T600 or a T660. I really like the way they look, but most of all, its MPG that is setting them apart from the others. Plus they have an awsome turning radius, which i will need hauling flat/stepdeck. It will be a few years before i get one but by then i can get a good used T660. My family is thinking about starting our own trucking company. My wife and her dad being brokers and me and my brother in law driving the trucks. We have a few years to get the capital and equipment, but my father in laws dad was a trucker and owned 9 of his own trucks before he died, and my father in law was big in the working of his dads company, so we will have experience. I know i have rambled but just lookat at all the ins and outs.

Nerok9

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.