Question on Fuller 9 Speed Trans

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Gunrtruck, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Gunrtruck

Gunrtruck Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I Just bought a truck with a 9 speed Eaton Fuller, the owner told me there driver jammed it in reverse and they played heck getting it out. They parked the truck and pulled the shifter and boot out and it looks to me the fork is cracked in the corner. All the bolts were taken out of the top plate but it wont come off, I dont know much at all about trannys but can this be fixed from the top or will i need to drop the trans to repair? THanks for any help. See pic.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Reverse is on the other side. Replace the shift tower, four bolt housing, above your picture. The area above the ball wears and allows the bottom of the stick to catch on top of the shift rail housing. If it is a latter model you may get by with an o-ring and washer kit.
    If that fixes your problem that will be $100. Pay that to your favorite charity. It cost me a lot more.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    Ha Gun I spoke out of line. If everything is lined up like your picture it should be in neutral. If it is still in reverse you have another problem. Maybe a bad snap ring on the main shaft. I saw I guy fix one once with the trans in truck. The top was off and I thank the back box also. Cab overs did have some advantages.

5. Gunrtruck

Gunrtruck Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2017
    This is in a Ford L9000 with a large floor access hole. It is in neutral currently, I was just trying to figure out if the shifter housing plate can be removed and replaced while Trans is in place or if I'll need to drop it. Thx

6. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not see a problem in your picture on my little screen. It could be a problem in your top plate but no one knows before it is off. Snap ring or gear problem also possible. I have taken some up and out the back with the drive shaft removed. I do not recall on a L9000.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.