Question on gaining ground clearance for a pneumatic trailer

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by bmw0311bmw, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bmw0311bmw

bmw0311bmw Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2011
    South Texas
    I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out. I need to gain some ground clearance on my trailer. The bottom has scraped a couple times while driving slow off the loading dock and it has bent some of the valves and what not. I need to fix the clearance problem before major damage is done. I know that replacing the tires and rims with taller ones would be the easiest but way too pricey. Is there a way to raise the 5th wheel or anything else that does not require all new tires and rims? Any ideas or help would be awesome, thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    You can get a taller 5th wheel that will ad around 3 inches or so in height. A lot of trucks that pull liquid end unloading tanks use them.

bmw0311bmw Thanks this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A company I used to work for tried that. If you raise the 5th wheel and leave the stock tires, the back of your discharge line will actually sit lower, since the tandems will act as pivot point - like how the rear of an end-dump drops down as the front of the bed goes up.

Get bigger wheels/taller tires for the trailer, and lift the 5th wheel. Or carry extra swingaways, bolts, wingnuts, rubber couplers, and band clamps.

bmw0311bmw Thanks this.
  5. bmw0311bmw

bmw0311bmw Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2011
    South Texas
    I found where they will do the lift and add 3 inches. I will replace the tires with taller ones when the time comes and that will be soon enough. Thanks for the help fellas!

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    First, raising your fifth wheel will not lower your bottom dump valves since they are between the axles. Second the correct way to raise your trailer is to increase the air in your suspension (adjust linkage). Or change your springs or add a spacer to the spring pads. Next I do not understand why you would have a pnuematic tanker near a loading dock. We do not use loading docks like a van.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Yeah and cusomers place unloading connections in the wierdiest of places...

Truck Driver Thanks this.
  8. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    We had to suck a lot of plastic out of totes for GE. Most places brought them to the dock. There was a place on Long Island where Chevron sent their out of spec plastic. We had to blow it into totes there, again on the loading dock. And there was a place in New Hampshire that was too cheap to put up a real silo. They had grain bins sitting inside their warehouse where we had to run the hose under the loading dock door.

9. gummy bear

gummy bear Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    kentucky
    I've loaded a bulk tank in loading docks a number of times. As a previous reply stated, vac'ing plastic out of boxes

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I've filled Gaylords at a loading dock, the company had a little cyclone they hung from a load lock w/ a chain. One guy would direct the plastic into one tote and cap it off w/ his hands while he swung it over the next one. As it filled his co-workers would forklift away the full gaylord and slide another MT one in place...suprisingly they spilled very little resin.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I do not do plastic, so I stand corrected. In long beach ca, we unload stright into warehouses onto the floor. Cal Portland has loaders with buckets that load belts which in turn loads the silos. Dust so thick you cannot see thru it.

Now I service occidental oil fields andpump it onto sludge-ponds. I like bulk would not consider anything else, unless the money change my mind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.