Question on pay

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bre1979, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    I have 4 diffrent job offers but wondering just how much this pay will effect me.

Marten offered .36 a mile
    Central offered .31 a mile
    England offered .29 a mile
    Prime offered .35 a mile

Is it true that the more you make the less miles you get? I just want to run many miles as i can and run my earnings as high as i can for the week.

Thank you
    Byron

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Of the four companies you listed the only worthwhile one is Marten Transport. It's actually owned by Pillsbury, Kraft, 3M and Nabisco. Marten drivers replaced company drivers for those four companies.

They just let Randy pretend he runs the company. He doesn't. He does whatever they tell him to do or they will replace him.

I understand Marten has gone downhill since the old man died nearly 20 years ago, but it's still far better than any of the other three. Prime has a long history of screwing drivers.

I'm suprised Marten is hiring trainees, but that just shows how far down they've come since Little Randy took over.

Yes, it's true, the more a company pays a driver, the fewer miles he will usually run. It depends on many factors, not the least of which is your dispatcher or whatever cute name these trainee companies call him or her.

I'd stay clear of Prime regardless they offer, the other three aren't probably much different. (now that Randy ran the co. into the ground)

4. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    The last sentence wasn't real clear, I mean that there probably is little difference betweeen Marten, Central and England.

Prime has a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG history of screwing drivers and as far as I know, they still do.

Stay away from Prime.

(maybe they've changed, but I seriously doubt it)

5. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Seems like it, i'm stuck on marten and central

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Personally, I would stay away from Central. That's my thoughts on it.

Marten has been good to a couple of friends. Others complain, but I still would pick them over the others.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Very important to ask about detention pay , deadhead pay , and unloading pay . There's a lot more to trucking than driving .

8. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Benefits ie: mental, dedical, profit sharing, 401 etc.

dancnoone Thanks this.
  9. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    That must be considered. Good advice there. I can't tell you how many younger guys forego the 401k and profit sharing aspect of their jobs.

Only to find out their retirement includes 40 hours a week....doing something else besides retiring.

10. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I do not put much stock in the theory that the more money a driver makes per mile the fewer miles he will get.

A veteran driver with a good safety record, on time deliveries, no claims, available at any time, and a good attitude will always be kept busy. Therefore the key is to build a reputation for yourself as a capable and competent driver.

Lurchgs Thanks this.
  11. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I don't think this is an industry standard either although it may happen at some places.

I believe the majors are charging the customers for a 50 cent a mile driver and are probably making more profit off of the vetran being paid .45cpm than the knoob being paid 30cpm.

knoobs tend to need training and then run into stuff which cost more per mile to keep them running than a veteran with no uh-ohs... but being paid more.

huh ??? what'd I say???????? lol

trucking pays on a curve based on experience just like car insurance costs on a curve.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.