Question to vets and even newbies.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jimjam38, Jan 13, 2018.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    I have been driving since 2011. I worked with some folks who are old school back when a cdl was having your chauffer's license. Those guys showed me the ropes and I went on to go through a driving school to get my license. This is what I am wondering. I have worked at a few different companies and have done the OTR thing. What is considered a good rate of pay for an OTR driver? Percentage or cpm. I have asked drivers at shippers from other companies and the consensus is 27% on percentage for company drivers seems to be the response I get. Usually I get a .40 cpm response from those drivers. The companies I have worked for I was paid 27% (only have done percentage). I wonder this because my current company pays us 24% of every load. However, it isn't a true 24%. I found out that the line haul on the bills reflects the fuel cost added in. I have no issue on this, I am a company driver, they pay for fuel, so ok, but trying to actually find out what the line haul is before the surcharge is added is like pulling hens teeth. We only get paid loaded miles, no DH. Not really that big of a deal because we haul casing to rigs within 150 miles of the terminal. However, there are some times we may take a load from our yard to a yard in Houston (over 600 miles from us) then we may get dead headed 200 to 300 miles for another load, or heck even back home empty. They reason with us "That load going to Houston pays great" Sure I can see that but when you get sent back empty, even as a company driver, I know I am not making any money. I know lease drivers and O/O will say no way they would do that. Now having driven all over, I know part of the job is staying out. My current company will have us deliver locally (sometimes 2 even 3 loads) you get back into yard and boom get hit with "take this load and you need to take it to here" (usually out of state) Like I said I am used to it, I just don't like the abruptness of getting notified. But that brings me to the question, is 24% good for an OTR driver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was paid 25% back in the 80's going NE (NYC Hunts in particular... almost every evening from Baltimore) and it was good money back then, net was 600 after taxes.

When I hauled Milk in a set of two strict routes with 15 farms to Baltimore every day, I was paid about 1600 net each month after taxes. THAT was #### good money back then. There is at that time no point in trying to go OTR or look for any other employer. And there I was at 21 raking in that much while my friends worked for a couple hundred at most in a food place. Bulk tanking did better than that with potentially 450 dollar gross if I was able to get in 5 or 6 loads to Pentagon Arlington Silos from Lime Kiln each day. That involved some speeding approaching 100 back then. there was no truck restrictings in the two left lanes of 495 back then either. Tickets hell yes. 45 dollars for 80 or less. And 7 points until suspension at the 8th. Gasoline people raked in ungodly amounts of money each week. But I was not expected to go gasoline until 25 (Like I planned to, NOT... due to family history)

My life on the road is a story of inflation. .24 cents a mile was big money OTR running flat out. in the 80's Then making almost .50 in 2000-2001 time frame grossed about 67K roughly before taxes. And that was only half the potential earnings because part of our team work at that year was rescuing late solos. We could have cleared 120, if we just did Avenel and LA back and forth.

It's still inflation. If I was to go out again as a Solo, I would require a minimum of .65 a mile or 30% nothing less. On paper I have the experience to make it happen, but because of the sheer number of years Ive been off road to medical problems that history is not provable anymore it is as if I never drove at all. Funny how that works. But there is that. .65 a mile or forget it.

I once bought a semi tractor back in the 90's we were structured to minimum break even of 1.20 when necessary and at least 1.50 where possible for making a small profit. One of my companies contract freight at 2.45 a mile average. I am not allowed to possess that information having gotten it by getting into several prohibited rooms with printers that held that data. Im lucky they did not fire me for that.

Anyway. Bottom line .65 as Solo or 1.00 as team. Nothing less. And it has to be GPS actual miles. No more of that HHG BS which loses 15% as a minimum off the bat.

jimjam38 Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Are you forced dispatch? If so, mileage would be the better way for you. If you have a say where the truck goes, percentage will pay twice as much once you learn ur company's freight lanes.

Experienced driver...whether you be mileage or percentage, if youre not making a grand a week, you're dong something wrong.

5. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma

I would say yes on forced dispatch. Downside to this particular place is if you turn down a load (and to you be a good reason) you get to sit at the house because there is "no work" I have seen this happen to drivers who turned down an out of town load. They were told, "No work it's really slow" even though the other 20 trucks in the fleet are all out running to a local rig.(some drivers making multiple runs)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Forced dispatch cannot be turned down, you are going.

Let's say you say no.

You will sit. And sit. And sit some more. Until you are out of money and then food etc. Ready to take the load now? Have you learned your lesson? It is no problem for a company to sit you and your truck somewhere for weeks if necessary, if that is what it takes to get forced dispatch into your starving head.

Now I am not too difficult. With the bad medicine I offer the sweet thought of this...

If you are a good trucker going places most wont, you might go find out one of three or five choices about what loads you want to choose. Those are very nice to have and are considered a reward for work well done. Choose carefully.

A long time ago we spent three days as a yard jockey in the Brass Foundry at Buffalo. A whole sleeper truck shuffling trailers at very little to no money. But we did it cheerfully. (Kinda.. the trees heard more than THEY did...)

As a reward we were given a 2500 mile run to Sunny Phoenix in the dead of winter, Just need to plow past Erie to get it done.

We were so on the way to Phoenix. The call comes in past Indy... can you get this late solo into Ontario (Which is experiencing a ice storm...)

No.

Believe it or not, that was the end of our relationship with Chicago dispatch. Phoenix and Denver took care of us well from that point. Even San Fran got to work with us as did LA. But Chicago was where it was happening though. It's a shame.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.