Questions about Auto Truck Transport

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by mxpx148, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Hours

Hours Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    If Rhett(?) is the same one I'm thinking of (really big man) then you're right. Phil C. at Cleveland is even worse. Phil is considered to be the head union steward throughout the Auto Truck system - the other stewards report to him. The young fellow (can't think of his name) at Portland is pretty straight but gets 'reigned in' on a regular basis. The 'clown' at Von Ormy (can't think of his name either!) is so useless that he gave the term a whole new meaning.

Since the company began brokering out its best work back in 2011 one must maintain a blistering and often unreasonable pace to make a decent check. I recall trainees relating how they were told they would start at $75k per year - it was a huge letdown when they were told the truth because many actually left good paying jobs for this - and many couldn't go back to their former jobs and reacquire their seniority and pay level they had previously, even if their previous employer would let them come back.

Glad to be done with it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Reason for edit: Spelling
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shamus

Shamus Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I left Auto Truck about 4 summers ago and have never looked back. I was a bit suspect when I first hired on about 10 years earlier and stuck it out far longer than I should have. Out of the six that started with me in our class, there was one left after my departure. Kinda knew he’d be the one to stick with it as he was the only (known) gay man in our class. Full on company shill, couldn’t tell him anything despite him being relatively new to trucking in general.

4. Wicked Good

Wicked Good Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2013
    This thread got past me for some reason LOL! I'm sticking it out; in my 14th year - hope to retire next year. A non-gay driver at ATT may feel uncomfortable due to the sheer number of said drivers - not so much in the shops. I've been approached on a regular basis by gay males thinking I was one of them - they are always disappointed to find that I'm not who-what they were looking for. Guess I should wear a sign of some type....

5. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    Place sounds like a weird work environment .

Wicked Good Thanks this.
  6. Wicked Good

Wicked Good Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2013
    A common business model these parts. Going back 20 years, I answered an ad for a food service company that sounded too good to be true - it was. Shuttle Driver, doubles experience, home every day and great pay. Well known regional company at the time that was bought and merged with a mega company, at which time I became redundant. Company had gained a sizeable gay staff, creating a bit of friction, so they decided to create a separate 'division' with its own terminal with one redundant distribution warehouse reopened and given select contacts, mostly military bases in the region.

This 'division' was understaffed for shuttle drivers as no one from the main operation wanted to transfer to the 'gay ghetto'. A complete zoo. Open harassment of non gays, up to and including 'records falsification', forcing us to document everything and go over the heads of our complicit managers. Many left, I stuck it out because it paid decent and was a huge improvement over the disaster I had just left. The mega bought them out, absorbed our operation and closed down the two facilities that had been specially created for it. And, I was the only employee declared redundant LOL!!!

The pharmaceutical company was worse - I had more trucking experience than all of their drivers combined! Another 'diversity and inclusion' joke. Paid well with good benefits. Often out overnight but we stayed in decent motels. I was fired from there for 'tendering threats' toward the newly hired gay manager who replaced two excellent managers IMO. Just over a week later I came to work for ATT - been here ever since. No money to speak of but good benefits. Kids are grown and we both will reach retirement age next year - No debt at this point and our health is good. Wife makes about the same money as I (around 50k w/performance bonuses), works half as hard and is home every day.

7. dogg boi

dogg boi Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2012
    I left there long ago - don't even want to discuss it.

8. Shamus

Shamus Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2013
    ATT is probably at the top of the list (or darned close to it) for truthful posts being removed on TTR. I've never worked at a place even remotely like it, before or since.

9. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    This thread really got knocked down since I was here last LOL!!! Somebody doesn't want the truth to get out.

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Until you posted in this thread last night at 2233, the most recent post was 19 Jul 2018. That is 3 weeks between post on a high traffic area of this forum. It isn't a matter of "somebody doesn't want the truth to get out", it is a matter of lack of interest.

A thread will not remain at the top of the forum unless our members are commenting on it. If you want this thread to stay at the top, keep posting about it. A thread with naturally get buried by lack of comments. There is no conspiracy involved with this thread not being on the first page.

Calamity Jane Thanks this.
  11. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Whew! I'm glad for the clarification as I thought I was seeing things. Seems like the threads stayed up on the front page forever, until people started replying to them. My mind is at ease...

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.