Questions about controlled High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Aarrons, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    normal weight 5'11 175 41 120-80 w/medication, 140-90 wo/medication, 175-95 stressed out without medication

1 Should I forget about a career in trucking
    2 Since I am on medication I will automatically receive a 1 year DOT, do company sponsored training accept 1 year cards?
    3 Do companies hire with 1 year cards, will I have trouble getting hired
    4 Do companies have stricter HBP numbers than 140/90? And if you don't lower them do you get automatically terminated?

That is all thank you very much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    You won't have any issues getting hired. Just keep it under control.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I started looking at jobs a month or so ago and decided to go the driver route. I was 256 and my BP was 147/96. My wife and I made some simple changes to my diet, and now I'm 240 and 120/79 in a month. She's an RN and I was once a decent athlete, so getting back after it was a little easier. I'll have my DOT physical in about 6 weeks and will be under 230 with solid BP.

See if you can manage with a diet lower in sodium and including bananas and baked potatoes. I also reduced my red meat to three times a week and increased my veggie consumption. No chips, soda, or other snacks of that nature either. Also, don't have coffee within 3 hours of a BP check. I went from two pots a day to three cups a day. That had the biggest impact.

I still do eat pizza on our weekly pizza movie night and have some chocolate here and there. However, that is occasionally. Mostly yogurt, fruit, veggies, etc are snacks. If you want a two year DOT card, not to mention living and feeling better, it's a amazing what a proper diet and light exercise can do for you. I walk twice a day four times a week and jog on the treadmill three times a week now.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    KillingTime Thanks this.
  5. Wade68

Wade68 Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Port Richey, FL
    HBP isn't an issue. I take Amlodipine for it and none of the three companies Ive worked for had an issue with it.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  6. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I'd add to @Mortarmaggot's post: If you smoke - quit. I'm working on it.....

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are a pain patient like me and im off my narcotics the blood pressure approaches 165/130 some bad days. I fight it with very quiet living and tea.

I used to have blood pressure issues that threatened my trucking years ago when I was a young man, in those days cutting out the salt and other stimulants such as caffinee pills etc solved the problem. For then.

At some point in the future the blood pressure will cause me to stroke and die, but at my age it's not a concern really. Half of my family goes out that way.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    The Dr that does the DOT examination only knows what you tell them. Get my drift?

Wade68 and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  9. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I would not stress the meds, I take 2 different BP meds, without them I am 221/180, with them I am 134/86. You will get a 1 year card, and companies will not think twice about hiring you, BP Meds are very common.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.