Questions about delivering containers from Gulf Port, MS and North Carloina

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Night Train Logistics, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Night Train Logistics

Night Train Logistics Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Fort Payne, AL
    Here is a little history first.

I have been driving for a local reefer operation for the last 14 months mostly Atlanta, Ga to Denver, CO. on a weekly basis.

.31 cpm all miles, and lots a miles. 2800 to 3200 miles a week. Paper logs. Not great cpm but not really bad either.

Good equipment and no governing of the truck. full power and speed.

Loaded and unloaded fairly quickly within 2 to 4 hours max.

The truck owner has informed me because of increasing costs of insurance.

He is leasing his trucks, and me to a company, a relative that delivers containers out of Gulf Port, MS and North Carolina.

Same pay 31 cpm.

I have around 14 years of trucking experience, van, flatbed and reefer experience,

but have never have anything to do with containers and don,t know the first thing about it.

He did inform me I need a T.W.I.C. card and he is willing to pay for it. I think he said about $130.00 or so..

My Questions are.

1. What is it like getting loaded at these ports?

A. How long to get loaded?

B. Do I have to wait in line with hundreds of other trucks or is it by appointment?

2. Average length of haul?

3. Do you just deliver the whole container? or is the container unloaded and then you return to port empty?

A. how long to get the empty container off and get a loaded one on?

As you can see, I have not a clue as to what I am signing up for.

I have many more questions but I am hoping this will get the thread rolling.

I would like to thank all that respond ahead of time for taking the time to share your experiences with me.

And wishing all our Truck Driving Brothers Happy Trails..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    gulf port,at one time and probably still is,is the easiest/quickest port to enter and then leave.the containers are already on a chassis that you pick up and you just need to mark down where you drop the one you brought.

make sure you put the super stout and made for containers cable ties on each corner of the container at the points it attaches to the frame.

i just checked on a twic card and you have to physically show up TWICE at your state facility to actually get it.that is for me here in alabama. by all means,allow him to pay for it.no wait a minute.that showing up twice might be for the hazmat endorsement.i'll have to go back and check.i looked into getting both the twic and hazmat at the same time.regardless,let him pick up the tab.

no appointments to pick up/drop off containers yet they are only open what is similar to bank hours.

i have taken an empty and left with one.

my info is based on my experience from about 8 years ago but i talk to my buddies that still go there weekly and apparently things are still the same.

average length of haul is truly dependent on where it is consigned. you will pick up heavy containers so always scale there at the pilot or loves(i forget) i think it is.most often they are legal so no need to get anxiety laden about their weight. there will be many that you pull that will be top heavy but you'll feel it.they pack them by hand mostly top to bottom and side to side.unreal how they get the product in there.of coarse you won't see what you are delivering until you get to the consignee and lots of time it is a drop/hook deal.the seals are bolt cutter quality.

honestly,you'll dig it better than the reefer i bet.the only time you wait is is first thing every morning as all the drivers get there at opening and line up.moves quickly however.

i am sure there has been a few changes and i will be amended but overall i am thinking it is the same as it was then.up and down I59 you can make some time in a truck that does the job it is intended to do.then hop onto 49 near hattiesburg i think it is and take it south to gulfport.the law works 49 but it is a good running hwy.

i must add that containers are notorious for bad rubber,flat tires,inoperable marker lights,etc.there is a dude that works on them there and replaces all that needs to be.THAT is where the line may be.once you leave the port,most flat tires are on the driver and the company.

not sure if they are open on weekends. fairly positive no Sundays.possibly half day on saturdays.

also,you'll be pulling mostly 45-48' so backing into spots when the trailer is stretched out will be different but easier overall due to the shorter length. yes most if not all have sliding tandems.if i recall,gulf port is mainly crowley containers but heck,it has been a while.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Night Train Logistics Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.