Questions about DUI and Training

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Blue5864, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Blue5864

Blue5864 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I have two DUI's, both of which are over 10 years old. I haven't needed to get a license for a while, because I didn't need to commute much for work, I did a lot of coding. But I have recently got my license back, about 5 months ago, and have to have sr22 for three years. Will having sr22 keep me from going to Paid CDL training school? Also, I read that some companies don't start counting until you get your license back. Even though my DUI's are over 10 years old. Can someone explain that more in detail for me, please. I had my drivers license before the DUI's. Some say that you need a valid drivers license for at least one year of the past three years or two years of the past three years. But others say that all you need is having had your license for at least a certain amount of time, without stating within a certain time frame, meaning total lifetime driving time. Is this correct? Thank you in advance for the replies and help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most companies require you have a drivers license for previous 12 months.
    Some will cut some slack on that though.
    Which state do you live in?
    Can you pass a hair follicle drug test or urine test?
    Some companies do hair follicle and some do urine.

4. Blue5864

Blue5864 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I live in California. I can pass either drug test.

5. Blue5864

Blue5864 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I'm just trying to get into a paid training as soon as I can. If I need to wait, I understand.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Wow, I've never heard of needing an SR22 so many years after a DUI. I guess it's too bad you didn't get your license back 9 years ago so this would all be done with by now.

Not sure how a trucking company will look at this. Good luck though.

7. Blue5864

Blue5864 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Thanks.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    To be honest I never heard of Sr22 until now.

A little research shows this is a very high risk special insurance for liability to those convicted of things like DUI and higher costs thereof. It's part of a small process to regain your license. It is safe to say maybe that license had been revoked? And you probably are paying a enormous amount of money to hold any policy adequate enough to keep a car in tags, registration and need a valid license to drive that thing.

I HOPE for your sake you never held a CDL. If your CDL has been REVOKED you are going to have a long wait getting back up and running with another.

I don't know the whole situation and I will tell you that if you wait enough and behave with any valid license and insurance etc with no accidents, problems or captures arrest for DUI etc. for a certain period of time eventually you will have a shot at getting a CDL.

This industry is short of drivers. As such they have watered down certain things in what we call DAC services via Hireright. There are also a number of challenges a person considering you and your present record as it stands against the possiblity of being insurable and thus hired for running a 18 wheeler. Many people find that is too high of a jump to being hired because there are probably dozens without such extreme problems at all or hardly any to hire today.

Im not your opponet. Im aware that I don't understand the full story and all of that. But the presence of Sr22 insurance in your life indicates to me that you probably cannot get insurance in any other way. Or the state refuses to issue a license clean of problems to you for whatever reason. If they issue one at all.

Years ago I had a stack of tickets and was dependant on the state for basic liability for a while When I moved to Arkansas it literally zeroed out that problem over a period of time. I can get any insurance I want any time. But it would have been just about 30 years or so of my life time after the trouble years early on. I just hold a basic car license now because if I am stopped for medicine inside me that's a automatic DUI, Arrest, Pernament forfieture of vehicle I am in plus fees approaching 10K or more and what else they can tack on along with the suspension or revoking in this state. So I don't drive very much at all. I have 5 drivers on hand for any time. Including Uber etc among other things like Medical taxi etc.

This trucking industry has changed so much, and become more hardened since the 9-11 days. Unfortunately when you do get a CDL, finish training and graduate. You will find that if you have been convicted of a Felony, access to Canada is closed to you. So any company that goes to Canada cannot consider you for employment for that purpose. Also depending on what endorsements you are trying to get on your new CDL (Hazmat in particular) you will be having a sit down interview to go over your record as it stands while they decide if you are to be issued one or not (TSA/Homeland security)

Also...

There is one more complication. If you need a valid license now, do whatever it takes to get one. You have about until 2020 to comply with the enhanced license requirements in order to gain access to domestic flying and federal installations including hospitals and courthouses. Anyone without that gold star on that license will not have flying in their future, it will be driving, bus or train. But no flying after 2020.

Good luck!

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry OP, the high risk thing is a killer, no one should be hired in this industry with one. We already have issues with high insurance rates, people are paying $35k for their insurance on a single or two trucks, when it used to be $6k. One reason is we have too many high risk drivers.

So maybe looking somewhere else for employment would be better for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.