Questions about employment and criminal background.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gandrews1967, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Gandrews1967

Gandrews1967 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2021
    Hello,

For the past twenty years, I have been outside the country as a teacher in Asia. Now it has come to the point where I need to come home. I have been interested in trucking for awhile, and seeing that there are companies that will train people, I am quite interested.

A main blocking point is that the DOT wants a ten year history of employment. All of my employers during this time has been in Asia. I am going to try to get my current employer to write a letter and sign it to prove I was there for two years.

I also have my old passports which proves I was in Asia, to show as evidence.

Second, I have a record of “Theft under $500” from Memphis Tennessee from March of 1996. I stole a steak. I was stupid and had personal problems and this offense is why I came to Asia in the first place. I have seen and heard that companies are willing to hire Felons, and I am not a felon. I don’t use drugs either.

The ten year employment thing is the most annoying, and don’t understand why it is so important. But I am also resentful that a 25 year old misdemeanor is still on the books.

i really want to drive because it will pay a living wage and I won’t be living at home with my elderly parents, and I want to stay home mostly and would enjoy the adventure.

Any help appreciated.

Glenn Andrews

austinmike and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They are actually only required to go back 3 years of non CDL employment. !0 years if you have been driving that long. Get whatever documentation you can together, along with phone numbers of anyone that can help verify your overseas employment.
    As for the 25 year old theft charge, I wouldn't worry about it. If the application asks if you've ever been convicted of a crime be honest. There are many drivers with misdemeanor convictions that have had no trouble getting hired with them, myself included. If that conviction bothers you so much, try and get it expunged.

tscottme, gentleroger and Eddiec Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's petty theft and that's way back I'm 1996. Misdemeanors aren't any big deal.. I have a few of them, surrounded by marijuana, and they are not nearly as old.. most companies won't even ask about convictions that old. When you apply to these companies, answer exactly what is asked. Don't talk too much and give out unnecessary info. I think the work history thing will be the bigger barrier for you but it can be overcome. I've seen folks on here that had to take care of sick parents or other relatives for a period of time and get hired. It's definitely doable. Make sure you call each company and gear it from the horses mouth the exact documentation needed for your time overseas.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you file income taxes while overseas? If so, that shows you were working.
    The deal with the steak happened so long ago, the question won't even be asked on job applications. Read the questions carefully and don't add information that isn't asked for.
    Which state will be your domicile when you return? Knowing the state and even the nearest town/city will help us make recommendations to you.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    austinmike and BennysPennys Thank this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You have no worries. Of course, your driving partner in a few years will be R2D2’s descendants.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    R. E. West Transportation
    School is free and located in Ashland City, Tennessee.
    No contract to sign.
    Hourly pay while attending cdl school.
    Choice of dry van or flatbed.
    [​IMG]

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE Transportation
    Probably send you to school in Burns Harbor, Indiana.
    Transportation to the school is provided, plus meals and lodging.
    @Jenn72 drives for FFE
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.