Questions about hauling wood chips

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zonno, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I’ve recently gotten an offer from a family member to haul wood chips in a tractor-trailer that he owns. It’s local (home every night), off on weekends, though they might haul one load on a Saturday, it’s mostly the same route, although occasionally it may change, and I shouldn’t have to drive in any large cities (like Atlanta, Tampa, ect.)
    Although I have a Class A, I don’t have any tractor-trailer experience. I’m currently driving a 10-wheel dump truck for a road construction company for $13.50/hour. The money’s ok for now working 15-20 hours overtime, but it’s said to get slow during the winter.

Anyway, would hauling chips be a great way to get some experience without having to go over the road?

Is hauling wood chips hazardous and would it make me a target for D.O.T.? (Seems like they love to go after log trucks).

Also, is it seasonal or is it steady work year-round? I’m told I’ll be making 30% of what the truck makes.
    Would rainy weather mean no work for the day?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Around here the chip trucks don't seem to get hassled by the DOT. They get inspected but so does everyone. As far as experience, it wouldn't count for much for one of the OTR companies. But you'll sure learn to drive, on and off road.

4. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    These would be great questions to ask the company.

dirttrackercm23 Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    It may stay busy if they have power plant at paper plant where you can unload the dirty chips ( everything thats laying on ground gets chipped into dirty chips and burned for power at paper plant and some power plants burn them in summer when power rates jump up) but learning to ck. brakes on trailers before you leave out loaded will save you alot of gray hair, you will be backing on to lifts that raise up the whole thing or just dropping the trailer and pushing the button to lift up and dump the chips out, but never stand around in ft. of truck when its being loaded the chips that are fly your way will sting as bad as a pant/ball gun does?

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It sounds like a good way to boost your income and get some experience at the same time.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Wood chips are heavy. Where you unload might be a line too. At that moment, you will wish you were hourly pay not %.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I delivered resins in a tank to the chipboard plants. Some of the plants I rarely saw a chip truck waiting. A couple of the others it wasn't unusual to see 10 or more trucks waiting. The ones hauling what they called "fuel"- chips for the power plant hardly ever waited. Luck of the draw.

9. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Probably. How big is the rig. The ones I'd see at the papermills were four axle daycabs with four axle trailers (105,500lbs GVW). That back trailer axle is a lift. Thinking most tractors now automagically lift the pusher on the tractor when you go into reverse. The four axle tractor I drove didn't.
    [​IMG]
    Gotta scale in, tip tip, scale out. Not too complicated. All the tippers I saw were trailer only. So you'd have to unhook, tip, hook back up.
    Ask your family member if he expects you to haul a few "extra" thousand pounds a load. I've seen it too many times to count.
    Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.