Questions about reefer fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I was wondering how accurate the reefer tank fuel gauges are? I stopped for a 10 hour break, before I started driving it showed half a tank. Down the road an hour later I looked again and it was nearly 1/4. Made me wonder how accurate these things really are.

2 weeks ago I filled my reefer up all the way to the top, not even 2 minutes later my reefer shut off. I'm guessing I over filled it, haven't done that again.

Is there a level I should keep it above at all times? I noticed it burns 1/4 tank per day running at -10F.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Don't forget, if it's a round tank, like a truck, it's going to go down a lot faster after 1/2 tank. Also, I never heard of a reefer shutting off because the tank was overfilled. Just don't run it dry. Not sure about today, but years ago, the only way to get it going again, was to pressurize the tank.

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Didn't even realize that until you pointed out the circle tank thing. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the reply.

5. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Gauge isn't very accurate. Just keep it filled and keep an eye on it. You'll get a feel for the fuel burn over time depending on load and weather.

Most places want 3/4 or better to load you. Sometimes, the gauge won't go above 3/4. I've had to take the cap off and shine a flashlight in to prove it to the guard. And one memorable guard in NJ sent me off to get a fuel receipt anyway. For a $1.50.

6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    That just makes zero sense. Tank is open via the vent at all times.

alds, Snailexpress, dunchues and 7 others Thank this.
  7. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I NEVER run mine below 1/3 for any reason when loaded.
    Typically I fill it every day, 17 gallons at a time.
    Ill take the 15 min to stop and fuel than a $5000 claim if I run it out like an idiot. What if you are at 1/4 tank and your truck blows a steer tire? That is not enough fuel to sit for 12 hours in the hot sun.

Farmerbob1 and slow.rider Thank this.
  8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’d symphon the truck tanks into a Dunkin’ Donuts cup before I let it run out, but I agree topping the tanks off are easier

some tks suck air from the fuel splashing in if you are low when running, just shut the reefer off before fueling then kick it back on and run a defrost when done

Speed_Drums, slow.rider and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Most reefer fuel level detectors measure vertical height of fuel in a tank, but most tanks are round in cross section. This means the only time the fuel level is accurate is when the tank is full, half full, or empty. When nearly full, or nearly empty, the fuel level indicator will move rapidly, and be inaccurate.

As for a reefer shutting off after fueling, this can happen if the reefer engine is actively running and the tank is nearly empty. Pour fuel in that almost-empty tank and it can stir up dirt, paint chips, whatever at the bottom of the tank, or suck in air, which can interfere with fuel flow.

Turn off the reefer engine briefly when refueling if the tank is almost empty.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.