Questions about the "X" endorsement

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by cellopudding, Jun 16, 2013.

1. cellopudding

cellopudding Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am curious to know if having the X endorsement (tanker hazmat) qualifies you to haul regular hazmat, say, in a van or on a flatbed, as well as in a tanker. Also, how does one get an X endorsement? Would taking the tests for both the tanker and hazmat mean you automatically get an X, or do you have to take a separate test to get this endorsement in addition to the tanker and hazmat tests? I live in Indiana, if that helps.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I have a PA. CDL. When I had tanker already, and then got Hazmat, the Tanker was replaced by the "X" endorsement. It was automatic, in my case, as it should be in other states, unless they are not up to date with their CDL system.

When you took the HazMat test, the questions were about HazMat hauling, regardless of what container is used to ship the material. Your X covers you for any tanker work, HazMat or not, and any HazMat work, whether in a tanker or not.

4. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    X is for Hazmat T is for tanker if you have X=Hazmat van,flat,rgn reef. etc
    You must have T Endorsement to pull a Tanker TX Endorsement is for All Kinds of trailers Hazmat or Not

5. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    WRONG!!! (part way down the page list endorsements) http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_223/section_1.pdf

T= Doubles and Triples
    N= Tanker
    H= Hazmat
    P= Passenger
    S= School Bus
    X= H&N

If you have both H (hazmat) and N (tanker) they replace both letters with "X"

My license says TX which means I have "Doubles and Tripples" (T) and "hazmat and tanker" (X)

6. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    So for the original poster question, you can haul regular hazmat if you have X because the X includes the H. You will automatically get X if you pass both tanker and hazmat test. If you just pass hazmat you will get ans H. If you just pass tanker you will get an N (not a T)

T is doubdles and tripples, not Tanker. Tanker is N

cellopudding Thanks this.
  7. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    cellopudding Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    what's the difference between indiana and pennsylvania???

cuz i'm not seeing anything.

my license says "XMT"

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I took my tanker test a yr ago.Last April took the Hazmat test not the tankers.But the back of my license has Endorsements x combination Hazmat&Tank

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    X is Hazmat and tankers together. I have had all endorsements since 1983.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  11. Beau3210

Beau3210 Light Load Member

May 3, 2013
    FL
    States are required to use the endorsement indicators on the CDL as listed in CFR Title 49 section 383.153. As stated previously by others, H is used for Hazmat only, N is used for tanker only, X is used for tanker AND Hazmat. If you take both the tanker and Hazmat tests (and pass them) and pass the TSA background check you will get an X endorsement. This permits you to pull any type tanker and any Hazmat load regardless of the trailer platform.

Snowwy, There is no M listed as an endorsement in 383.153. However, there is an M listed as a restriction for no Class A passenger vehicle. Did you happen to take only one of the tests required for passenger endorsement, either the written or skills test for passenger vehicles?

Pattyj, once you take and pass the tanker test you are good as long as your CDL remains valid. Hazmat has to be redone every 5 years or less because of the TSA background check.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.