Questions about truck, is it true I have to have newer than 2011

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Mr_Jones916, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Mr_Jones916

Mr_Jones916 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Hello trucking world and thank you in advance for any advice.
    Overview: I’m interested in starting a car hauling bussiness. I wanted to clear up a few thing that I would need. I’m looking at at a 2010 f350 and I’ve already found the trailer I would like to be using its 20’ and rated under 10k GVWR

1. Is it true that if using a diesel truck it must be newer than 2011?
    2. Other than 1mil liability insureace, dot number , Ca number , and Motor Carrier Permit what else am I required to have.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Whatever gave you the idea that you are restricted to a model year? Did your prospective employer tell you only a certain year vehicle or newer will be accepted?

The reason I ask is that USA Desiel changed in 2007 and with the use in some cases of Emissions fluid etc there should be no trouble using a modern vehicle to the job provided you do not overload it or use inadequate securement. Or in your case trigger a gross combination vehiule weight rating sufficiently heavy to require a CDL.

That is all I will post here. There has been a big effort by so many people to essentially not get a CDL at all and run the business as cash money. I have some trouble with that. But I keep it to myself.

4. Mr_Jones916

Mr_Jones916 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2019

When i first started looking in to this i was told by a tow truck driver that his trucks had to be 2011 or newer beginning soon or they where going to block his vin from California.

as for my class a i plan to get it when i expand but right now i have a opportunity to more with some single car jobs and i want to make sure i am working 100% legally

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh ok. Thank you for taking the time to write.

I keep forgetting about California.

California has what I interpret as a full ban against any trucking 2006 and older from doing work in the State.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf

6. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Don't buy a 2010 it has 6.4 engine which is no good, buy 2012 or newer trucks have 6.7 engine the BEST engine Ford've ever had.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    No, they are just recommending avoid 09-11 trucks as the DPF and/or SCR technology had alot of bugs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.