Questions about USF Holland

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jumbo, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I am interested in applying at USF Holland as a regional driver out of Neenah, Wi and have a few questions.

1) Are these positions paid hourly, mileage or a combination? I don't need specific rates
    2) Are these terminal to terminal runs or do you make picks and drops along the way?
    3) I saw no sleeper trucks at the terminal, do they put you in a hotel every night?
    4) Is there a lot of dock work involved or all d/h?
    5) Are trucks slip seated or assigned?
    6) If hired as a regional driver and a P/D spot opens up can you switch?
    7) I have done flatbed LTL before and always had separate bol for each stop. If you have 15 stops in a trailer how do you keep paperwork straight?

I have Hazmat, tank, and double/triple endorsements already. I am pulling mostly oversize now and want to maybe try something that isnt so hard on my nerves.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Well I dont specifically work for holland but I have several freinds that do and I work for a large ltl company First off Linehaul or regional are paid by the mile city pd is by the hour/ Linehaul has terminal runs and meet and turns where you meet another guy at a truck stop regional may have you pick up a full load at a customer/ Hotels well I know we do that at old dominion/ Yes when you start there usually you are considered a casual on the dock for a time period/ when your new you usually slip seat/ Yes but you may lose senority if you switch job titles/ You get a manifest for each delivery in a order to go along with you delivery recipts/ If your looking for home time it is better but for less stress I dont know keep in mind for P&D you must be very customer oriented and put up with any bs they may complain about I was a P&D driver for 14years and got out of it because of constant whineing from customers but It is nice to be home every night I guess what it comes down to is just getting along with them regardless of the situation you are the salesman

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    1) Are these positions paid hourly, mileage or a combination? I don't need specific rates
    Hourly for P&D. Combination of both for linedriver

2) Are these terminal to terminal runs or do you make picks and drops along the way?
    Linedrivers will only make pickups/drops at other terminals or turnpoints

3) I saw no sleeper trucks at the terminal, do they put you in a hotel every night?
    Linedrivers are home 95% of the time. The other 5% are a 10 hour layover usually in a cheapish hotel near the company terminal

4) Is there a lot of dock work involved or all d/h?
    Linedrivers will not do much dockwork. I average an hour/every two weeks at most. P&D may do more of it

5) Are trucks slip seated or assigned?
    Linedrivers have an assigned truck. P&D drivers may borrow it once you complete your shift.

6) If hired as a regional driver and a P/D spot opens up can you switch?
    You can switch, but you may lose seniourity

7) I have done flatbed LTL before and always had separate bol for each stop. If you have 15 stops in a trailer how do you keep paperwork straight?
    P&D drops are done on a standard company form. Pick-ups will receive a customer BOL which will be turned into the terminal for processing. Freight will be sorted into outbound trailers. The BOL & freight will be assigned a processing number and the manifest will accompany its respective freight into a large orange folder (trip folder)

LTL will be a good change of pace. I used to do flatbedding too.

Jumbo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.