Questions for new truckers in Toronto/GTA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Toronto-trucker95, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Toronto-trucker95

Toronto-trucker95 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2021
    How much did you guys make your first year? I am 26 and currently earning about 40k/yr but I absolutely hate my job. I dropped out of university and would like to eventually go back after I save up for a few years. I would like to get my AZ license and start working asap. How long did this whole process take you? Also how long until you can get a local job, like a fuel truck driver or working for Sysco? I assume new drivers have to start OTR? How much will I expect to earn in a year as a new OTR driver?

Thanks for the help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Have you looked into the cost of getting your AZ license? It’s pricey.

If you’re planning on going back to school it might be hard to justify the cost of upgrading your license for just a couple years while you save.

If you’ve got a class G license now, you’re probably better off just finding a job driving a light duty truck. (One that you can do legally with your G).

To answer your questions though,
    - It’s been a while since my first year but I think I was around 40K.

- The licensing process has since changed in Ontario and now you’re required to do 103 hours of truck driver training. - I can’t tell you how long it’s currently taking.

- My first job driving a tractor trailer was local. (I had a few years experience driving smaller trucks before). Once I got the hang of things, they weaned me off local work and onto highway trips.

- New AZ drivers are probably doing about 50K for their first year.

Canadianhauler21 and not4hire Thank this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I can’t speak for Canada, but $40k is very doable in the U.S. $50k is doable if you get with a good outfit right out of the gate. I can’t imagine Canada be much different in that regard.

5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I worked at challenger when I was 21 starting off my career, I drove from Toronto to Cambridge to get to work. Did approximately 12 weeks of training before I went solo.

Worked there for 6 months > worked at another carrier for 4 months and took 2 months off before returning to challenger for 6 months. Long story short in that one year I made 23,000 at challenger and $25,000 at the other carrier and $7000 when I returned to challenger, for those two months. After tax made approximately $47000 after tax on my first year.

In the last one year working at two different carriers I have made over $60,000 after taxes. Also I should mention this was OTR being out usually 5-6 days per week. I have about 2 years and 7 months experience as of now.

How much money you make really depends on how smart and how much you work.

Biggest thing is if you worked on payroll or driver inc.

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Toronto-trucker95

Toronto-trucker95 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2021

Thx for the reply dude. 60k after taxes sound amazing especially after only working two years. That's close to 80k a year right? I was going through your profile and your situation kind of sounds like mine except I'm 26. I'm planning on working for a few years (like 6/7) and saving enough money to do my masters and buy a condo/house. Is this a good idea in todays trucking world?

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    To be honest it can be done and that's what I think younger people should do. I know many other young people who grinded trucking for a few years and then just went local to enjoy life a bit. It definitely can be done. There are many bad companies in the GTA and I have dealt with my fair share of them. Don't get into them and you'll be fine.

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Can't imagine doing local in Toronto. This is my second straight day crawling in traffic on the 403 and QEW etc and it's getting on my nerves.

It's probably only going to get worse when the borders fully reopen next month. Bring on the Delta variant lockdowns is what I say. ;)

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.