Questions on engine brake use.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Woodys, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Hey I got a couple quick questions I would like your input on.

What RPMs do you let it reach when going down a pretty steep grade? Is it better to put it in a lower gear and ride at say 2000rpm singing down the grade, or do you use less engine brake and more foot brake?

Ive been keeping my engine brake on high gear. Sometimes if its a small slope I will end up constantly flipping the ening brake on and off while going down the hill. I was thinking the other day if just selecting a lower engine brake gear is better than constantly flipping the engine brake on and off?

Is there any negatives with using the engine brake instead of the foot brake? Does it put stress on anything or use more fuel? Besides wet and icy road conditions, is there any time service brakes should be used over engine braking?

First time back on the road after running local in Florida for the last 4 years. Have to get re-introduced to this magical machine :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Safe and effective rpms depends on the engine in question.

And you can change the level instead of flipping it on and off.

Lepton1, Tb0n3 and Woodys Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If your truck heck yea the engine brake is way better than wearing out your own brakes. Company truck do as you may but using Jake is still a lot better than wearing out shoes and drums faster than necessary. Turning the Jake on and off all the time might wear out a seloniod but not really a big deal

Bean Jr., MACK E-6 and Woodys Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    New Detroit autos are programmed to try and run between 2,000 and 2,300 on steeper grades or when max braking is requested by the user.

Engine brakes are more efficient (effective) as RPMs increase, up to the maximum safe RPM (about 2,300 rpm)

However in a stick, this is more problematic to run in these higher RPMs since it won't allow those kinds of RPMs in the max-tach setting.

Woodys Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Using the Jake properly is also safer too. Brake shoes have a tendency to crystallize with heat and excessive use will cause them to overheat to the point of actually catching fire. Hot brakes are no brakes waiting on a place to happen. Use them as little as possible and hold the speed as much as possible with the Jake. I watched a driver get killed on I 26 coming down Saluda Mtn back in the 90s every wheel looked like it was on fire.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Woodys Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And BTW. Engine brakes aren't necessary in parking lots or truck stops contrary to what some super-truckers will try and tell you.

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Yes they are

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If you took my engine over 1800 rpm, I'd just punch you.

I don't run much above 1500, and that's in very limited capacity. I'll let it go up to about 1700 max with full jakes on. Mine is an ISX, and has the best jake brakes of any truck I've ever had. And I only run the mountains out west. Most of the really big hills, if you're heavy, you're in 9th anyway. And places where the speed limit is 35 or 40 on those hills, you're in 8th jake on medium, and you'll never touch you're brakes.
    That's the game you learn to play, how to make it down without ever touching your brakes, and without over speeding.

Second best truck for engine brake was my Volvo with D13 engine. Worst was DD15.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    On the really big hills I don’t let it go over 1,900 rpm on the jake.
    But usually 1,500 - 1,700 rpm range.

Dave_in_AZ and Woodys Thank this.
  11. Rollr4872

Rollr4872 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I don’t drive yet and haven’t yet read up a whole lot on engine brakes and air brakes so I don’t yet fully know how they work but why would you want to use the engine brake instead of the foot brake in a situation like a truck stop or parking lot?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.