Questions regarding equipment and laws. Long Read

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Miroh, Oct 3, 2018.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Or ignore X1, as he's full of it mostly.
    Like @not4hire said simply log it as off duty. You will loose the 8/2 split option, but that would be all.
    Get an air bed and if you are comfortable enough to sleep, go for it.

As for the truck, my suggestion is drop the 4x4. It just causes more problems and you will likely not be delivering to many mud lots anyway. Also, the engine is more of a concern than the transmission, mainly because for the new Rams there is only one transmission matched to the Cummings. And let;s be honest, the only reason the get a Ram is for the Cummings. As for the extra tank, I would see what it's like a few weeks without one, but be prepared to get one.

Trailer: What makes it a gooseneck is the ball, if it has a kingpin it's a 5th wheel. Simply match trailer to hitch. Don't have more advice as I've never done hotshot.

As for Drug and Alcohol, @Moose1958 don't you have a chart that shows what requirements are needed for a non CDL CMV vs. CDL CMV?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

[​IMG]

brian991219 and ZVar Thank this.
  4. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    Govt is definitely trying to get rid of the pickup haulers no doubt. It would be an awful tight squeeze for me in the back of a 3500 to sleep since i’m about 6’3 190. I like my 78in aerocab on my pete though. I just couldn’t live in a pickup cabin for a week at a time.

5. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Would a 4x4 really be a set back? I'm wanting to be ready for anything, whether it be in a #### parking lot or in the ditch from a snow storm. Not saying I plan to be but would rather have the option to try and get out just in case. As for the transmission, I'm just hearing a lot of positive feedback over it except it needs maintenance at 30k instead of 60k with the 68RFE.

I figured I would need an extra tank eventually. Fewer stops is my reasoning. =-) I'm just in a position to get started with everything I want and finding out what others think along with the different permits i'd be needing.

Thanks again for the info!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.