Quick question on turning truck in.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by focus89, Jul 18, 2018.

1. focus89

focus89 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Been driving for 2 years and working at my current company for 3 months otr. Started and hired at a terminal about 300 miles from where I live but finished training at a terminal about 1300 miles from where I live and got my own truck(company driver) from this location. Had thoughts about leaving to find something local and after I had finished a load I was heading to the terminal 300 miles from home to have the truck serviced. Decided I wanted out so I cleaned out my truck, turned the keys into service department and notified dispatch I was just heading home and resigning. After dispatch asked me to give them one more week of work I was told to think it over during the weekend. I chose not to go back but then being told that I need to bring the truck back to the location 1300 miles away from home and then find my own way home after turning it in. Now I never like to burn bridges but to me I’m already home and the truck is already in company hands and to do what’s being asked I’d be driving 300 miles to get back in the truck to bring it to the 1300 terminal then spend $200+ to get back to the 300 terminal to get in my own vehicle to head back home. Can they put this as truck abandonment if I don’t do this?

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, they can.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  4. focus89

focus89 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thanks Chinatown

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Do you already have another job lined up? If so, their problem. They can get it back there on their own.

Too many things can go wrong for you here, don’t put yourself in that situation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    SingingWolf and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How's that, he already turned the truck in, the legal possession of the truck isn't with the driver, its with the company and any dings on his dac be disputed.

He terminated his employement, they can't require him to drive the truck back. It is their problem.

A suggestion with these "turn the truck in" situations is to document everything, who you talked to, who you gave the keys to and so on, date, time and the persons name.

7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    This^ and take plenty of pictures of the interior and exterior of the truck, basically document everything.

CYA on everything, and take a picture of the (Notice to Quit) message you sent and response you received if you have a Qualcomm or similar device installed on the truck.

IluvCATS, x1Heavy and SingingWolf Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Employment is at will in the USA. The moment you quit and tell the company, you are finished with them as of that moment. That truck stays #### well right where it's at. If dispatch would like to move it they can waddle downstairs and scare up a drivers room for one stupid enough to take the load there. (Seeing that the rig has not yet been serviced or turned around yet)

The rest of it is a matter of payroll, deductions and trashing your DAC if you did bad things while employed. Document everything. Name names, dates, times, location etc.

So you quit. They beg you to not only give them another week and also to move a rig 1300 miles out of the way? No. It's not my problem. I quit. You have 500 drivers find one to do it.

The olden days were fun. Quitting in the bronx near yankee stadium makes it a race to see if the company can fly a man out to get it fast before it's stripped and left on blocks.

9. focus89

focus89 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies. ####ty situation but I’ll most likely do it. I don’t like leaving companies on bad terms and liked working for the company but just gotta be home more. Plus I’ve been a long time lurker and if Chinatown is saying they can get me with abandonment I’ll take his word for it.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah they can …..if thry're $&^holes. But you cab dispute anythinh on DAC too.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some companies will put "truck abandonment" on DAC if the driver doesn't turn the truck in where they are told to. Seems a bit harsh, but they do that.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.