Quickbooks Premier setup question

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by PharmPhail, Feb 20, 2009.

1. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Fellas, I was wondering what business model you guys chose when setting up your quickbooks. It looks like "Contractor" is a better fit at a glance than "Professional Services", but there is also "General Business Edition", and "Accountant Edition". (There's others but they are obviously not it)

Also if anyone has a strong argument for Peachtree instead, now's the time. I've used it in the past, but it is way more powerful than I ever needed. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Why would you not use something you are familiar with? Even if it is more than you need. You may have a need for those additional features in the future. I like PeachTree :)

I use Adobe Photoshop, for simple photo mods. It has WAY more capabilities than I need, or understand completely. But it is something that does what I need, in a way I understand, and gives me things to learn when I'm doing nothing else.

I'm teaching myself "art"... Pictures from scratch, one pixel at a time LOL

4. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I dabbled in Photoshop, but still ended up using paint shop pro. Even it does WAYYY more than I need. Whatever lets me put a 3rd eyeball on the kids is just fine lol.

The reason I'm thinking quickbooks is that I have been using Quicken for personal finances with quite a large datafile at this point. I'm figuring there will be a payoff by sticking with the same maker.

I will still likely use "Act" the customer database by Sage who makes the Peachtree product. It is probably better to integrate that with the Peachtree software so it's kind of a toss-up at this point.

This initial question during the account setup on quickbooks is kind of driving me nuts at the moment though. On the one hand it's promising because it will be more tailored to what I will be doing, but on the other hand this choice may eliminate some functionality I'm gonna want! Again, sometimes less is MORE! lol

5. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Ok and here's the answer...

...it doesn't matter.

Looks like it was really the illusion of having a choice. You can change back and forth at will, and the only difference is the types of reports generated and ready to go in the toolbar. "general business" is a fine choice for any type of business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.