Quitting a high paying job to be happy

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by JoeyJunk, Dec 5, 2012.

1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Has anyone here quit a high paying job due to unhappiness, stress, people, etc? I went to the oilfield and doubled my salary. Got a house, apartment, 2 vehicles and lots of pocket change and I'm miserable. I am moving up at my company, am trusted more than other 80 employees, and leaned on more than most supervisors. My work ethic is stronger than most no matter where I go. I'm just at a weird point in my life and confused as hell.

I always wanted to make the most money that I could but now that is changing. Im only 31. I thought I was too young to be feeling this way. Its a struggle to go to work everyday. I could care less about vehicles. Apartment is only for the job. I can work with ppl but in all honesty perfer to work alone. The money just isn't having the effect I thought it would.

Please share any stories you may have similar to mine, if any.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    After driving 4 grandad and dad for 7+yrs at the ripe old age of 25(min hirin age then)I went 2 work for big R--union job bennies the whole shooting match--take home went up 30-35%--thought I would retire there--lasted 2 yrs--the BS was that deep--left and NEVER looked back--and still managed 2 make a decent living support family etc..A wise old man once told me life is like an equal triangle--1/3 work 1/3 family and 1/3 friends social life--and all 3 sides need to b equal so the triangle is balanced--and YOU WILL b balanced...
    Good luck!
    Just my $.02

4. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i have actually made more money driving a truck, than i did at my previous "high paying" job

bigpapa7272 Thanks this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Seems like you are a bit young for the old "midlife crises." So if you really do know what is bothering you, then make a change. Life is way too short to go through it being miserable. I've left more than one "lucrative" job, because I got stressed, or just plain bored out of my mind. And I have always managed to make a decent living.

The key is to not do anything on a "spur of the moment." You know you are unhappy in your job, start looking for another before leaving the one you have. Rarely does one have a job that is bad enough that just walking away is justified. Make a plan prior to quitting. Your life will be much easier.

I've known folks who have worked an entire career in jobs that they hate. Because they "needed the security." To me, that is just throwing your life away. While your entire life probably does not revolve around your work, (unless you are a trucker. . .) you spend so much of it at work, that it is a shame to not be happy with what you are doing.

Friend of mine spent almost 35 years at a government job that he hated. About six months before he was due to "retire and start enjoying his life," (his words,) he dropped dead of a heart attack.

JoeyJunk and Freeform Thank this.
  6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I was away from the house 17 days in October and November.

I have had as much, if not more income in the 5 months since I bought my truck in July compared to January through July.

Friends and family have commented there are times like I am not working at all and that I am so much more relaxed since we bought the truck.

Compared to my highest paying job as an process engineer, I am making more money actually. That's net take home too.

7. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Oilfield, Railroads, Gov contractors in war zones, etc. They pay you for your inconvenience. You have to accept that if you are going to do that type of work. Look at what you are doing. Take a degree? Years of training? Probably not. Have to work odd hours? Away from family a lot. Missing birthdays, holidays, wedding, other special occasions with friends and loved ones? They are paying you for your inconvenience. Some people thrive on it. Others can't stand it. At your age I would say unless it is truly depressing you to quit buying BS things. Put away a good chunk while you are young and healthy. 35 with a 1/4 to 1/2 million in bank gives you LOT of options. Trucking in general keeps you away from your loved ones and pays squat. Oilfield for the time being still pays you for your discomfort. Schneider, FFE, Dillion and a lot of the other rat outfits are trying hard to ruin that as well. But for now there is still a lot of low hanging cash out there. Take a deep breath and decide what is most important to you. If you're really miserable get the Hell out. If you are just a little blue talk to your buds and bosses. You will work out something. Good luck!

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try a job that lets you see the world; sometimes it's good to be on the outside looking in to see where your place is.
    Look at sealiftcommand and decide if it would be a welcome change for awhile.
    They have entry level jobs.

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Don't know about seeing the world. But you would sure see the sea. . .:biggrin_2559:

CenutryClass Thanks this.
  10. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Didn't hear you mention women in the things you have. Get a good woman on your arm and enjoy yourself. You have more going for you at the moment than majority of people in the country . You have a job, two properties, vehicles and cash. Lots of people have no job, lost the house to the bank, take the bus and are broke. Personally I think you need to stop biatchin and be grateful for what you have as there's millions who would do anything to be in your position.

11. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    that's what i think about when i'm bored with life

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.