Quitting before a year.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jfairley00, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jfairley00

Jfairley00 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I want to quit otr trucking before my yr is out with Prime. I've been solo for a little over a month and I can say that I don't like otr trucking. If I do return to trucking it will be local or regional but I can't do otr. My question is what are the ramifications for quitting before your yr is out? Mine isn't over until June and I doubt I'll last to January.

tman78, Need4Speed and slow.rider Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Before you quit, ask the office if they have any short haul dedicated stuff. They may have something you don't know about. If you do quit, that is a coin toss there. Most companies, reputable ones, want at least three years experience, but may depend on the area you are in.

4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    There's a lot of companies want 1 year experience but will let you slide with 6 months. If you can make it 6 months you'll do your resume a lot of good.

Also, if the company paid for your CDL school and you don't finish your year contract, you'll have to pay them back all or part of the cost of the school. Could be 6 grand or more.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    pattyj, firemedic2816 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    BTW you win the prize for most original profile photo of the day. What's the story behind it? Must be a good one.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    try your best to stick with it for a full one year. it is hard i know, but better for you in the long run.

you really should have 4 seasons worth of driving under your belt.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If it's causing major family problems, don't worry about ramifications from the company; quit and take care of the family. Local jobs are to be had even for new cdl grads. The world won't come to an end because you went home. You'll probably find a local/regional job in a couple days. Where is your location; maybe someone on here can give you some tips on jobs.

nax, Puppage, plankton and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Jfairley00

Apr 27, 2017
    They do but only up north I live in Mississippi.

9. Jfairley00

Apr 27, 2017
    I don't know the artist but I love Dragonball and this is a black twist so I had to have it.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. Jfairley00

Apr 27, 2017
    I live in Gulfport, Mississippi. I've been looking on indeed but I'm also willing to leave trucking all together

11. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Otr isn't for everyone, ihated it for the first 6 or 7 months, but idealt with it cause iwas making good money. A month solo isn't enough time to honestly gauge Ann entire lifestyle change

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.