Quitting over the road for home nightly and the economy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    So just thought I’d throw this out here I recently got a local job offer, it’s not guaranteed but they REALLY want me to come in for an interview. It’s home nightly and starts out at 26$/hr plus overtime

I’m just unsure with the economy being the way it is. Thought I’d post here to ask the lunch counter what they thought.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    You'd be the low man on the totem pole, so I'd definitely look into the company's financials and business model first. Try to assess how recession-proof they are.

4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    What are you giving up to take this job?

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    what’s the freight? What’s the type of work?

some segments of the trucking industry are rather recession proof.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Mototom -- your original question in post #1 is a really tough one to answer well, without more info...

What kind of freight does the new job involve?
    What companies/industries does it serve (whose freight is it--or, who is on the BOL)?
    What city/state is it in/near?

Back when I pulled intermodal freight for Schneider--all the above questions made a real difference.....whether you stayed running....or sat waiting for loads....during the last recession.

--Lual

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ve noticed a new trend in how companies are advertising. They’re calling themselves something to the effect of “economically bullet proof we have super high demand for loads no matter what the economy does” or something to that effect or very similar. Could just be BS, or there could be some truth to it. I would look at what they haul. First and foremost and ask yourself, if the economy gets as ugly as we all think it is, do they haul some thing that people will still have to have. If the answer is yes, it’s probably a good bet.

8. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    How big is the outfit and is this LTL or something else. Benefits? Even if you are low man if there are a lot of guys/gals retiring or you think it will be steady employment it could be worth it.

9. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    It’s for the coke group hauling beverages

10. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    I’ll be keeping my current insurance the price won’t change. Would be roughly the same pay but home daily. I’m just concerned with the market considering it’s just hauling soft drinks

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I wouldn't be worried at all about the stability of Coke. There might be less "Smart water" in the trailer, but that space will likely be replaced with Dasani.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.