Quitting Swift

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SkiddyFisk, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SkiddyFisk

SkiddyFisk Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Wolf Creek, Oregon
    I'm at the point where I wanna get out of this company. I've heard a lot of different things on what I have to do in order to avoid a ding on my DAC when quitting.

Do I have to turn in the tractor at my home terminal? Or will any terminal do? I know I can't just leave it somewhere, obviously.

If I quit under a load, but make sure they have enough time to get another driver on it (I'm talking days of slack here), will I get dinged? I've known people that did that, but I don't know what happened afterwards.

If I have to drive a ways to get to the terminal to turn the thing in without a load, will I get dinged for extra miles? (Around 150 or so, if it goes like I plan it)

Will a qualcomm message to my DM + dropping the keys in his inbox suffice?

Do I have to stick around for them to check out the truck?

Is there anything else I need to be concerned about that I haven't hit here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zedanny

zedanny Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Arkansasa
    Give them a notice ,Always never quit under a load, never leave a truck on the road, best to get the shop to sign you off when you turn it in and keep your receipt .
    Don't just quite because another driver said this is a goog company I'm working for. The grass is always greener on the other side.Things are gonna get slow the next four months no matter where your at. I have never quite anywhere that I can not go back to work for. Good luck in your move. Danny

4. tinglish

tinglish Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Cottonwood, CA
    i agree with dan, give notice, find out how and where they want their truck turned in and stick to any agreement you work out with them. don't burn any bridges. and don't quit until you have another job!! you may quit and find yourself unemployed during the slow time of the year.

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    and do it all over the Qualcomm, or record any telephone conversations.

Be polite about it. Yeah, "this company is totally .. " <fill in the blank> is not a good way to go. Simple things like "I'm not cut out for this" are best. (without any detail on what "this" is. They'll take is as meaning "trucking", where you can tell somebody else you meant "working at Swift", "my dog misses me")

When your turn in the truck, make sure you have a signed receipt for everything onboard - chains, 5th wheel puller, accident kit, etc.

Make sure the truck is clean. Not spotless, but clean. No litter, vacuum the carpet, that sort of thing. Don't worry about the exterior unless it's filthy.

If possible, start offloading personal items now. Mail them home if you have to. Live like a trainee for a couple weeks. When the time comes for you to turn in the keys, you can be out of the truck and gone in short order. If you have another job lined up, you can have most of your stuff ready to go already, and just drive over and start - instead of spending 3 hours unloading.

Oh, and make sure to pull a copy of your DAC after about 45 days. You need to make sure it's accurate

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  6. SkiddyFisk

SkiddyFisk Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Wolf Creek, Oregon
    I got my important stuff out already, since I pretty much want to do this ASAP. Today if possible, or tomorrow. I am at my home terminal and they're doing periodic re-checkouts of trucks this week anyway. I'm not loaded and intend to refuse anything so I can stay here long enough to get it done.

I'll be honest with them - I need to get home a lot more than they're willing to get me home.

I know this is the worst time of the year to quit, but I can't maintain this situation at home through winter.

I'm thinking tomorrow morning I'll get the truck checked out, then copy & drop the checkout sheet and the keys in my dm's box, and send him a message that explains things.

7. tinglish

tinglish Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Cottonwood, CA
    i thought your main concern was not getting dinged on a dac report? if you do it in the dark of night when nobody's there, drop your keys and run away, then i think you probably will assure a negative report to dac. give notice! do it face to face with the dm!

8. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    When I left Swift, I left on good terms. Told them that otr wasn't for me at the time, and had a local job waiting at home. My manager was cool about it, and I turned in my truck clean inside and out. Turned in my keys and off I went. I emptied out my truck at my home terminal after making a delivery in town.. Never did they report anything bad on my DAC.. O and gave them a 2 weeks notice..

9. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    Yup, the main thing is....CYA! Don't leave on bad terms and you will be ok...or, you can sue them if you CYA.

10. miakica

miakica Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Great White North
    Just tell them....Never close any doors with your but !!! Be nice and polite, I don't think they will have a problem with that.

Cheers

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Sorry to hear things aren't working out for you at Swift, Tinglish.

Others have offered good advice on how to best terminate your employment with Swift, or any company for that matter. It's best to ask Swift what their preferred methods are for turning in your Big truck, and follow their directions to the "T".

I agree with the others here who encourage you to sever your relations with Swift without burning any bridges. If, for instance, they require a two week notice, I'd suggest you stick it out for that long, rather than ruffle their feathers. Don't bad-mouth the company. Without going into a lot of detail, just tell them you feel you're not able to continue driving OTR and thank them for the opportunity they provided you while you were driving for them. Swallow your pride and blame yourself, even if you don't really feel that way. Ask if they'd be willing to re-hire you at a later date, even if you have no intentions of returning. Don't give Swift any reason to be on the defensive. Truckin' companies have their ways of making a driver sorry if they feel like they're threatened in any way.

And like WiseOne mentioned Cover Your Buttox.

Document EVERYthing!
    Get things in writing, and like Lurch suggested, do things over the Qual-com so there's a record.
    Also, I suggest taking photos of your Big truck prior to turning it in.
    Consider including that days newspaper in the photos to document the date the photos were taken. Photograph the interior AND exterior --- including the odometer mileage, and have SOMEone with authority sign off that the truck was/is in the condition as indicated in any paperwork submitted. If possible, photograph that person near the truck and record any conversations you have during that time on tape, or even written down, for future reference. You may find it handy to refresh your memory if a period of time lapses betwixt when you quit and when this matter comes to light again.

Good luck --- and please keep us posted as to how things are going and how things turn out for you.
    I hope you'll continue to post here for a long time to come.
    Your experience could help others in handling a like situation, and we may be able to assist you in finding something more to your liking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.