Quitting Trimac and heading to Superior.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ethos, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Well my time with Trimac has come to an end. I quit for a variety of reasons. Mostly do to poor equipment, changes in pay and how I was being run. Trimac is a good company, we just drifted apart over time. These things happen in trucking as we all know.

So I am on to Superior. I put in apps with Altom and Heniff as well. For you rookies, let me tell you how important it is to keep a good record and how much better life is when you have experience and good history. All 3 offered me a job and all 3 commented on how nice my application was and how rare it was that they see that.

I applied at all the same day. Altom called first. The recruiter was honest and said that all he had was OTR, out a minimum of 3 weeks. I politely declined which was a shame as I really wanted it to work. I love their equipment and I want to drive a hood Pete before I am done trucking. Oh well, maybe next time.

Next was Heniff. First guy I talked to must have been an HR guy at headquarters. He was polite and said my record and application were awesome and he said I was approved for an interview with the Houston terminal manager. He called a day later. I didn't pick Heniff for a variety of reasons. First, he made it sound like safety was up your butt too much. You have to use the Loves tire pass to get your bonus for instance. I'm not saying this is bad, but it struck me wrong. Also, he was too much of a salesman for my liking. Again, Heniff is probably a fine company but I didn't feel it, just my opinion.

Last was Superior. I picked them because I have never read anything bad on here about them and several members work for them and seem to like it. The terminal manager was easy going and not pushy. Their OTR is 7 to 10 days and they have no hometime policy. Basically, the policy is be reasonable. Their equipment seems better and the facilities were top notch. The manager gave me an interview, had me do a physical and road test and all was fine. Quick, easy and professional, just the way I like it. I just felt right there so I took the job. On a side note, the truck I drove was a stick and I haven't shifted in 2 years, I didn't miss a single gear and had a blast. It's amazing how good it felt to shift. I'm a real trucker again, lol!

So I will document my journey with Superior on here. No set schedule, just whenever I feel something is important. I start Monday, which probably means a bunch of paperwork and videos. I hope this goes well and I hope I stay a long time. I honestly hate switching companies.

Lastly, why do companies wait till you quit to offer you a new truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    It's kinda chicken poop on their part.

Good luck!

cuzzin it and ethos Thank this.
  4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Because sometimes it works. I got offered a 379 once to stay, and I wanted that hood too. Funny how when I settled back in to the rut that truck got reassigned to someone else.

Good luck with the new job. The grumps will say the grass isn't greener, but they've been jumping the wrong fences.

5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Congratulations. Looking forward to your updates.

ethos Thanks this.
  6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Good luck, ethos. Looking forward to the updates.

ethos Thanks this.
  7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem

Welcome aboard ethos. Just don't expect all the terminals to look like Pasadena and SPCR will have its share of chicken poop. I doubt you will have any dispatchers questioning your integrity though.

Shock Therapy and ethos Thank this.
  8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Good luck! I applied online yesterday for Axis, Alabama.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  9. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Congratulations! If I can't find a private fleet to drive for, Superior is pretty much my only choice that I'm interested in. I can't wait for your updates. You and @wsyrob are the reasons I got into tanking

Shock Therapy, wsyrob and ethos Thank this.
  10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    No videos to watch, just e-learnings (well they have videos...). You'll get sent up to Greer SC for a week of SMITH training at some point. Also all the new Macks and Petes will be autos. Houston is a great terminal, I wish I got down there more often.

ethos Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

You still hanging in there with your truck..?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.