R&L or Dayton Freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TinMan89, Jun 15, 2018.

Where would you go?

1. R&L

14.3%
  2. Dayton Freight

88.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TinMan89

TinMan89 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2014
    FTW
    Well the title basically sums it up. I have a job offer from both R&L and Dayton Freight with both being direct hire for Linehaul and I think I know which of the two would be better but just wanted some opinions.

R&L is about 15 minutes from the house and Dayton being 30 minutes away. Dayton is mileage and hourly where as R&L has set pay per run. Dayton seems to have a more appealing benefits package as R&L you have to wait a year just to get a day off.

I’m leaning towards Dayton as they seem to have a better culture that I would enjoy and more welcoming at the interview rather than just another warm body to fill a seat.

Am I making the right choice?

Mike2633, Bob Dobalina and Warrior Cat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I'll say choose whatever place that gives you the warm welcoming fuzzy feeling :cool:

4. bigmotor1212

bigmotor1212 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Isn't Dayton Freight union? I'd go with union. R&L hired Robert Zimmerman as CEO, because the latest generation of the founder's family couldn't care less about being involved in the company. In my view, Robert Zimmerman, previously the CEO of Yellow, did more than any other individual to cause that company's decline. It appears to me, that he hates labor. The guys I know that are at R&L, say working conditions have greatly declined, and he seems to be doing pretty much the same thing there, he did at Yellow.

5. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Dayton is non union.

I say Dayton because they have better culture there than probably any ltl carrier.

rabbiporkchop and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Look into terminal specifics too, e.g runs available, how fast you might gain seniority, types of linehaul schedules.

rabbiporkchop and TinMan89 Thank this.
  7. Warrior Cat

Warrior Cat Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thinking you nailed it. Have you done LTL before? Total trucking experience?

TinMan89 Thanks this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Dayton seems to have better equipment.

TinMan89 Thanks this.
  9. TinMan89

TinMan89 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2014
    FTW
    I currently have 4 years of experience with no LTL. Been OTR, hauled cattle for a year and been doing local gas tanker work for the last 2 1/2 years. I’m currently on a night shift schedule so I don’t think I’ll have any problems adjusting to the schedule as I’m used to it already.

The barn for Dayton is FTW and the barn for R&L is ALEXANDRIA IN. Both smaller barns but not small enough to where I’m waiting 10 years to get a good run either.

Warrior Cat Thanks this.
  10. TinMan89

TinMan89 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2014
    FTW
    It also safe to say, I’m 99% sure I’m going to Dayton. Took my drug screen and physical today and got a start date in 2 weeks.

Coming from tankers, it will be nice to actually have holidays off, as I’m used to working almost every single one. Also where I was at, there is about a 10 year wait to get weekends off!!! I think this job will spoil me lol

Bob Dobalina and Warrior Cat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.