Rand McNally cant get browser to open to sign into wifi

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by crocky, Nov 27, 2018.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I have a TND 740, Im trying to update it via WiFi at both loves and Pilots who both require you to sign in via the webpage log in. The problem is when I connect to the WiFi, the browser window pops up but it's blank, just a white page..

How can I force it to open the log in page? I've tried at multiple truck stops and it simply goes to a white page and never lets me log in. I know the WiFi locations are fine as I use them on my laptop and tablet..

It used to work fine but just opens a white screen.. Any ideas how to get it to let me open the log in page?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I don’t think you can even update your iPhone at these truck stops. Open the App Store and then nothing, won’t download.

In other words, I think this download option is disabled by design.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I can't even get the webpage login to load. It loaded previously.. Happens at both loves and P/fj.

It's not the wifi I know that. It connects just fine to the wifi but the actual lig in screen won't load. It pops up and the little load bar starts loading then just a blank page.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
  6. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I have never touched one of these tablets, but i am familiar with how this sort of thing works.

If it is possible to clear the browser cache on the TND 740, do that. Simply going to any website should redirect you to the captive portal that you can sign in from.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well the problem is, it's not really a tablet. It runs on Android OS but you don't have access to the web browser or anything like that. It only gives you very limited access to the web browser via a pop up when it connects to WiFi. You dont however have the ability to type in a browser bar or anything like that to go to a random webpage.

Basically they gimped the Android or to stop you from having acess like a tablet would. That way they can sell the other "tablet" model..

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    #1 Can you update the device via a laptop or PC that's connected? I always recommend updating ANY device by first downloading the full and verified file [to laptop or desktop] then updating locally via USB (if this is even a software option with/for the RM tablets) A failed download due to wifi issues can brick the device.

#2 At Pilot, you'll need the paid side of the wifi network. Their free side won't let you do any sort of updates or downloads or Youtube. If you don't have a subscription then you'll need to figure something out. I know you can force a login on the PFJ paid side by going to ip 10.3.0.1

I know nothing of Love's wifi

crocky Thanks this.
  9. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Ah, gotcha. In that case my next step would be to perform a factory reset on the device.

Here is a video that walks through the procedure:

crocky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.