Random air line leaking when press brakes... Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Green461, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So you're saying that everything was working with no problems, and one day you heard an air leak and you see this line that you can't figure where it goes to.

As far as I know, there are no Airlines anywhere associated with your brakes or valves that use 1/4 inch line. All of them are larger line.

Again, as far as I know, the quarter-inch line runs your accessories. Like your airbags your air horn your air seat, and air should only come on after 60 PSI to your accessories so you have air for your brakes in an emergency.

So my first question is are you 100% sure it is that line that is leaking? Are you sure there isn't another line somewhere near there that is leaking when the foot brake is applied?

If that line is leaking, myself I would do one of three things.

I would either push that line back through the harness and keep unraveling it until you find where it comes from, or I would cap it and make sure everything else is working which is probably the simplest, or I would take it to a Kenworth dealer and ask them for a schematic or someone to look at it.

Your brake system should be sealed in such a way that only air goes through your foot valve tanks parking brake relay valves brake chambers and all of that. Everything else should be separate.

It is possible someone else jumped into a line somewhere that they should not have.

Or maybe that line is supposed to go to a brake application gauge? That would be a small line like that.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
  4. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    VIN - 869782

I stopped at a KW dealer a couple states away when i was on the road, just got back. The picture is of the "brake service manifold" apparently. The guys didnt know what the word "schematic" meant so i dont know if what they said is very credible. One guy said most of the trucks all have the lines ran for accessories and if the truck didnt come with it they are capped and a cap could have fell off??? Another guy seems to think it is the MV3 brake valve in the dash. He did find a diagram of the air lines for the brake system, though he had no idea what any of them were it shows one line going into that manifold and then out (probably to rear spring brakes), and then another one just going to it...which is orange and doesnt go out or anywhere. He said the brake pedal is back feeding the MV3 valve and then they wanted to sell me one for $365.

To the other questions, I bought this truck in May, it was in great driving condition, drove it home 300 miles no issues. Everything worked and it sat for 3 months (cut in half, stretched, flatbed put on) No, nothing was touched up by this... I did everything myself so I know. As im completing this project ive been inspecting it more in detail so it will pass a DOT inspection, first time i moved it in months and heard this air leak when the brakes are pressed.

My question..... Does the MV3 valve have anything to do with the brake foot valve? The MV3 valve is the park/trailer brake release on the dash which I thought was completely separate from the service brakes isolated from each other???? I will see if it leaks when the park brake is on and when it is off, if there is a difference.
    Thanks.

5. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Yes i had someone pushing the brake pedal while i had this in my hand. It is definitely the leak, and it bleeds the air tank down fast. There is a brake application gauge on the dash and it does work. Could be an accessory line like you say, cap could have fell off? Dealer guy did mention that. But what accessory would be activated by brake pedal?

6. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    #85 is usually for 5th wheel lock on KW, but uses brown 1/4" nylon tubing. What is coming out of firewall center manifold for #85 and follow it into cab. Nothing specific on your chasis showed line #85 because it did not come with sliding 5th wheel.

7. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Here are air diagrams for your chasis build of material for cab, rear brakes, front brakes, and air tank piping.

Attached Files:

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  8. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    KIMG2080.JPG I looked through all accessories and no #85 appeared. On similar build year, here is line #85 on 5th wheel. I took a picture on newer chasis I am working on today (2008) and no #85 is lower left corner. Looks orange with age.

Attached Files:

9. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I also do not think your MV3 is the issue. Need to see what #85 is hooked to in cab.

Green461 Thanks this.
  10. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Thank you so much!! The truck did have an air slide 5th wheel on it, no line was going to it though. The fact air comes out of it when you press the brake I would think rules out a 5th wheel slide.. I will pull apart the dash today and see whats in there. And try to trace it better. Also the one diagram shows a 1/4" orange going to the rear service manifold for a dual air pressure gauge, mine only has a single pressure gauge.... But I would think that would be the source of the air where the gauge gets its pressure, I have the opposite, the line blowing out pressure. Its definitely brake related though.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  11. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I believe you are referring line #28? That stays in the cab.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.